Mail 2.0 Problems!?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xli_ne, May 5, 2005.

1. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Well today I just noticed some things about Mail 2.0. First it will not close. Its always running in the dock and quitting the app. doesn't work. Second, I have only my .mac account but it won't send any mail. It will receive it fine, but wont send anything. I can go to www.mac.com and send away fine, but nothing through mail.

Any others have this problem!?! :confused: :mad:

2. baummer macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any issues personally. As for your outgoing mail not working, are you sure you have it configured properly? I'd test using your ISP's outgoing mail server to rule out a software issue. I also have not had a problem closing the application. You might want to consider a fresh install of Tiger, as I've heard that corrects a majority of issues.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Only issues I've had with Mail is with gpg... first after I archived and installed Tiger I had to reinstall gpg, because Mail just crashed madly a couple of times, one of them indicating that it was missing some gpg parts...

Now after I installed the newest gpg (said to be Tiger compatible) Mail has run quite well... just had a small incident where Mail "lost" all my keys... but after a little restart all the keys were back... ;)

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Did you try installing httpmail so you can access your hotmail? I did, and I then had the same problems as you (mail not quitting, window not opening, mail not being sent). Deleting the httpmail plugin thing fixed my problems...

5. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

go to your smtp server settings and change the server port from 25 to 587 and your outgoing mail should work then...

6. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

ahhh that must be it.

but here is a stupid question. How do I delete it? :confused: I dont see it in the app. folder or where is it located at?

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

~/library/mail/bundles

"~" stands for your home directory

8. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

man i love this forum. everything you guys have said worked. thanks a lot
    :D

9. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Unlucky me lost all my emails on mail....

hmmm not good

did a info check on the mail folder and it read 650MB, so one assumes that they are there somewhere.

:( not a good start

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Did you import your old mailboxes the first time you started Mail 2? If not, try in the Mail menu: File -> Import Mailboxes... and see if it doesn't find anything...

11. egoldin macrumors newbie

Major Mail 2.0 problems

Installing Tiger was a disaster at first for me, mainly because of Apple Mail. I had previously installed httpmail to allow me to check Hotmail (though I rarely used it), and it seems as though that is where the problem comes from.

I did an archive and install, and after finishing, Mail refused to open (would open program, but nothing would happen). Later, I was able to access the new mail window. All the folders and mailboxes were there, but there was nothing in them! Thousands of e-mails, but nothing appeared.

So after some searching, I learned httpmail was the problem and propmtly deleted it from ~/library/mail/bundles/

Luckily, I had backed up all my mail, and I started to import my old mail. The old archive mailboxes imported fine, but I lost all my in POP account. For some reason, I had to import that mailbox as "other." So, eventually, I was able to recover it all. Lesson: Don't install the first day, and back everything up.

12. xli_ne thread starter macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I have only been a mac user for the last couple of months or so, so bear with me. I had this same problem (see above) so when I went to ~/library/mail/bundles, the bundles folder wasn't there. So I spotlighted it and found it fine. So if it is a hidden folder, where in the options do i check to see this folder?