1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Mail 5 in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by seetheforest, May 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I've been drooling over Mail 5 ever since I saw it, but most of the Dev Preview 3 videos I have seen gloss over Mail (presumably because they don't want people seeing their emails?). I was just wondering if someone could do a full preview of the mail apps showing...

• Threaded messages and the buttons available within each threaded message
    • How expanding previously quoted messages works. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3pJyULv__k
    • Has the compatibility with Gmail been improved since the messages are in conversation view now? Are all conversations in Gmail also conversations in Mail 5?
    • When you delete messages in Mail 5 do the messages now correctly go to the Gmail trash folder? Is there a way to map it correctly so that this is done?
    • Can you view chat logs saved on the Gmail server through Mail 5?

Mail.app upgrade is one of the best things about the new Lion IMO.

2. macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Just putting my vote in for this as well, I would really like to see it.

3. macrumors member

I'll install Version 3 and see if I can get you a few screenshots

4. macrumors member

Could someone answer the questions about the integration with Gmail? Has it changed/improved at all in Mail 5?

5. macrumors member

gofightlose

I was really hoping there would be an icon change...there might still be, but the current one, although not horrible, is quite outdated imo. I mean, they recently changed the itunes, I think mail, iphoto, preview are deserving of a few tweaks.
    Anyway, here is a little youtube video of some of the features
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wK9R_9igYs&feature=related
    I had to look through a lot of those for someone who didn't say, "mac OS eckss". it's "OS TEN"! they're probably not a dev if they don't know the right name. haha. I think it's odd that they still have a new separate window pop up to write a new email, I wouldn't mind something like an overlay, I think in fullscreen mode it's a bit different.

6. macrumors regular

Yeah I'm hoping someone can answer this guys questions. I too am curious about the Gmail integration. Does Mail 5 show labels? Is its use with Gmail any better?

7. macrumors 603

I hope they don't change it because their icons seem to be getting uglier. They did show an ugly embossed metal icon for mail, similar to Launchpad, in the keynote. I hope they don't start to use it.

No new gmail integration, as far as I can tell.