Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helpmhost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
Hi,

Is there a way to password protect Mail, Address Book and iCal?

I would like the programs to prompt me for a password upon opening them (something like M$ Outlook's password to open outlook).

I am not talking about my password to retrieve new email, I want a password that prevents from accessing the mail (contacts, and calendars) that are already on the mac.

I don't consider the MAC OS login password to be sufficient as it can easily be reset.

I am thinking filevault would probably work, but I think that is overkill (to encrypt the entire home directory). This actually brings up another question. Is is possible to have filevault only encrypt certain (selected) folders?

Thanks.

Stacc

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2005
While I am not sure about passwording individual apps, (I'm not sure why a login password wouldn't be sufficient) you can encrypt individual folders by creating encrypted disk images in disk utility.

helpmhost

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
The reason why a login password is not sufficient is because an admin on your computer can reset your login password and then has full access to all you mail etc...

The admin could also just copy your mail folder and address book and calendars.

I was originally thinking of an encrypted image (.dmg) file, but wasn't sure how I could get the apps (like) mail to look in one of those.

Anyways, someone gave me this link.
It seems like it may work.

http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/software/how_to_encrypt_just_mails_messages

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.