Mail & AOL question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silentrage, Jan 17, 2005.

1. silentrage macrumors member

I have 3 different e-mail accounts that I read through Mail. I have two friends who e-mail me using AOL (one sends messages to my dot mac account the other to my earthlink account). Whenever I attempt to reply to a message they send me the new message window will not open. I don't seem to have this problem with anyone else. Once I close Mail and reopen Mail I have a new message window open with thier e-mail address in the To and the Subject Line completed of the message but the quoted text from the message is not present.

When I reply to their messages using webmail I don't have this problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have a G3 iBook using OS 10.3.6.

thanks!

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Nope, I have several aol friends and never a problem...I use mail 1.3.9 (v 619) and have a .Mac account and never have a problem. Come to think if it, .Mac has been extremely reliable as of late...haven't had any problems in many months which is nice. You know, they say you never think of things when things go well, it is just when they don't go well that you think of it. Glad I am having no problems, but sorry to hear you are. Have you tried replying both while viewing the mail in the main Mail window as well as opening it up in a separate window? (Is that clear- hope so) I have had problems 6 months ago deleting things when viewing them in the main Mail window but never a problem deleting when viewing as a separate window mail doc.

I am also using 10.3.7

Have you checked support at Apple on both .Mac and the Mail app?
    good luck,

3. silentrage thread starter macrumors member

I'm using the same version of Mail and that is the only problem I'm having. No other e-mail address or other problems with Mail. Just that.

I've tried to respond to messages both of the ways you indicated in the past and I still experience the same problem.

Ive looked in Help in the past but no luck. I'll check out .Mac help and see what they have to say.

thanks for responding.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Have you tried repairing permissions yet? If you don't know what they are let me know.

I wonder if it has something to do with the way the address of the person is in your address book? You know how the person's name can show up in the reply line? Check to see if the person is in address book? If they are check their address and check the address that shows up as the email is from...maybe something is going on there. I guess it was two people so probably not that now that I think of it, but an idea...good luck- let us know how you figure it out if you do.

5. silentrage thread starter macrumors member

No, I don't know anything about permissions. I've read about them on this board but I've never delved into how to repair or adjust them.

Only one of them is actually in my address book. Her address appears the same in both places.

Did a search on dot mac help and no luck.

thanks again.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

look up in the help menu and type iin permissions Here is what it says- probably won't help you, but can't hurt.

Occasionally the user permissions associated with files or applications become damaged, which can prevent a file or application from opening. This problem can also cause the computer to run very slowly. If you have either of these problems, you may be able to fix them by using Disk Utility to repair permissions on the startup disk.

You can only verify or repair disk permissions on the startup disk.

To repair permissions on the startup disk:

Open Disk Utility, located in Applications/Utilities, and select the startup disk in the left column.
    Click First Aid.
    Click Verify Disk Permissions to test permissions or Repair Disk Permissions to test and repair permissions.

Repairing permissions is also a good maintenance task after updating the system or installing new software.

also, go to versiontracker.com and look up macjanitor and download and run. Read what it does, but would be good for you to run every so often...both permissions and the tasks macjanitor does are pretty important at least a few times a month.

7. silentrage thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the info. I did what you suggested, repaired permissions and ran MacJanitor, but still no luck. I have no idea why I'm having this strange problem with messages from AOL. It only seemed to start happening over the last 3 months. I don't remember having that problem early in the fall or even last summer.

I'm sure there is a solution. I'll try and send an e-mail to the support people at dot mac.

On a side note, I have a question about MacJanitor. Does it run automatically or do you have to schedule it? From what I read, it runs while the computer is sleep but I don't know if I have to have the application open in order for it to run.

thanks!

8. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You actually have to run mac janitor to get the tasks to run. What it said in the description was that Mac OSX runs its tasks at night I think around 4 or so in the morning if your computer doesn't sleep. Mac janitor replaces those tasks and runs it when you manually do it. As of right now it doesn't run scheduled but I notice there is a preferences selection that is grey so looks like the developer will set up some prefs soon...hopefully Would like it to do so automatically.

9. marcsiry macrumors member

this is a known issue with some emails sent from AOL 9.0 mail- you can't reply to it from Mac mail. In some cases you can view the message and select

View -> Message -> Plain Text Alternative

and then hit 'reply.' However, sometimes that doesn't work.

10. silentrage thread starter macrumors member

Oh, okay. That makes sense. My computer is always asleep overnight so those tasks never run. I'll set this as a reminder in iCal so that I perform this once a week.

Is okay if I only do it once a week, right?

I do appreciate your assistance.

11. silentrage thread starter macrumors member

WOW! That worked. I wonder if the two people who e-mail me from AOL updradged to AOL 9.0 and that is why I started having those problems. :confused: I'm going to e-mail them and ask what version of AOL they utilize.

Thanks for the heads up.