Mail.app and Address Book integration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sneeper, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Sneeper macrumors regular

Sneeper

Does it bother anyone else that the Mail.app seems to cross reference the Address Book by name rather than by e-mail address?

I often get e-mails from people in my address book, but their real name is surrounded by quotes ('Joe Smith') or they there is a middle initial or a middle name or something. The e-mail address matches their e-mail addy in my Address Book exactly, but Mail.app seems to think its someone not in my address book. If I click on the name, i get the option to add a new entry to my address book rather than to edit their existing entry.

Does this bug anyone else? is there some option or workaround I'm missing?

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

It does it by address. When you get an email, its only an address, not a name. you can't get an email from Joe Smith, because where did it come from. its needs something like @joesmith.com. Mail.app takes that joesmith@joesmith.com, and turns it into a name and displays what it finds in your address book that matches, Joe Smith. You might want to check and see if they used caps in a spot where you didn't. Question, did you manual put in this persons address, and now when it shows up, it wants to make a new entry?

And, no, never had this problem. And it cross reverences by addy, not name. Because you can have multiple addies, to one name, but not a bunch of names to one addy.

3. Sneeper thread starter macrumors regular

Sneeper

When you get a message from someone, their real name is usually in the message in the from field. For example, a message from joe smith might have this in the header:

If I have an entry in your address book with the real name of Joe Smith and an e-mail address of jsmith@mailinator.com, the mail program will only think the above message is from that person if the real name in the From header matches the real name in the address book. I've verified this.

It is definitely *not* putting in the real name into the message for me.

I should clariify -- I'm not talking about when I'm sending out a message to a user, I'm talking about when I'm reading a message from someone and I want to click on them and edit their Address Book entry.

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I have multiple email addresses for a few people. But no matter what their name shows up as whatever is in their "from:" field and not my address book.. i'd rather it look up by email and display their name based on that.