Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
How do I set up an exchange account in Mail?

When I set up a new account, I get the following options in the account type pull-down

.Mac
POP
IMAP

nothing about exchange, is this option elsewhere?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
An Exchange account allows you to connect to your Exchange server via IMAP, and if you enter text in the Outlook Web Access Server field, Mail filters non-email related content from the server. (You can get the text you need to enter from your mail account provider.) For Exchange to work with Mail, Exchange administrators need to configure the Exchange server for IMAP access. Some system administrators may refer to an Outlook Web Access Server as an Internet Information Services (IIS) server.
Link

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mass Hysteria said:
How do I set up an exchange account in Mail?

When I set up a new account, I get the following options in the account type pull-down

.Mac
POP
IMAP

nothing about exchange, is this option elsewhere?
Which version of the OS are you using? Exchange is "supported" in MacOS X 10.4. Earlier versions of Mail can access Exchange servers only via IMAP.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
Mass Hysteria said:
I'm a bit confused, it seems that others get the exchange option too

see here for example

I also though that I could use mail to get my exchange mail, but even with all the right settings it never works, always times out no matter what port or autentication method I specify.

The funny thing about the link that you provide, they seem to like Entourage, I started using it just because I couldnt get mail to work at my job, and Im adicted now. Works like a charm and setup was a 5 click event.

Mass Hysteria

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
MisterMe said:
Which version of the OS are you using? Exchange is "supported" in MacOS X 10.4. Earlier versions of Mail can access Exchange servers only via IMAP.

I was asked this by a colleague who is also on 10.4. I set my account at the same company as an exchange account type a while ago, but can't seem to find the option to do it now. He's currently using IMAP which, for whatever reason, hogs the CPU of the mail server.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Mass Hysteria said:

I was asked this by a colleague who is also on 10.4. I set my account at the same company as an exchange account type a while ago, but can't seem to find the option to do it now. He's currently using IMAP which, for whatever reason, hogs the CPU of the mail server.
Exchange worked in Mail for me until my firm "upgraded" its server. As with anything Microsoft, your mileage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.