mail app, any way to click through messages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tivoboy, Jan 3, 2006.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

Is there a mail user guide somewhere?

the question I have is work flow related.

When I have a mail message open, I like to simply read, click delete and have the next mail message displayed, not having to head back to the inbox everytime and click to open a new one.

Like the click forward and backward in outlook express.

is that a pref somewhere?

2. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

limited function

This seems like a real limiting function, is there no workaround?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I somehow sense that this is another thread in which you are going to fail to be satisfied with the stunningly poor design of OS X and people are eventually going to ask you why you don't go back to Windows.... ;)

But.

Just to confirm, using the preview pane to view messages, in which the behavior is essentially exactly like this, is not acceptable, right? You know that you can have multiple viewer windows, so you can open a new one, get rid of the mailboxes on the left (if you so desire), and just have two window elements -- the list of messages in the topic and the message in the bottom? And then as you delete them you'll automatically advance.

I will admit that you're not the only person to ask about this... there have been other threads about this before. But...*le sigh*

4. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

thanks

Thanks for the reply.

Well, you caught me. I am indeed doing an analysis of whether I can get back on the mac, or will have to stay in the windows world.

Having started on the apple, oh bout 27 years ago and used them an pcs through the 80's, I have a longing to return to the mother ship.

I waited patiently for steve to get back and offer me something like I have come to enjoy on my NEXT, but better. Indeed this is where we are.

but, we do get set in our ways. Going back and forth in the past few days, I find that using the PC, it is really, I hate to say this, MUCH quicker. Windows open faster, pages update quicker, transitioning from app to app is faster, etc.

I am not trying to bash here at all, just remarking. therefore, I am looking for the best work flow enhancers to help the transition or at least give it a running chance.

Without question, it will stay as our digital hub, hosting all the photos, music, etc. I just want to be able sit and work at it and work through at least the same pace as I am used to. Email is a key app, I am really surprised that apple wouldn't offer a simple click through from the view pane.

thanks for your constant tips and quidance, still trying to figure out why the FAN of sorts chose TODAY to start whizzing and buzzing the whole time.

5. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i might be totally confused but it sounds like what you want to do is just cycle through your messages and do stuff with them. you can easily click through messages with the up and down arrow keys. you'll need to display the preview section by grabbing the grabby thingy (that's the scientific name for the bar that divides the window in half) and pull it up. you should see your list of messages above with the body of the selected message below. you can now scroll through the list with the arrow keys. you can delete a message by pressing the delete key. i hope this helps.

6. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

yes,

yes, that works.

it is, however, in the mail window pane. I just like having a single message window open and click through, delete, go up and down, etc. This is a pretty standard functionality for mail programs, just strange that it wouldn't be in mail 2.0

7. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird?

Why don't you try using Thunderbird? It is the Firefox email program. From what I hear, it is a good program. I'm not sure if it can do what you want, but it is worth a try, right?

http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

8. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

go to View > Hide Mailboxes and it will be the same thing as a message window.

9. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I know that this thread is more than 2 years old but is there a workaround for this problem? This is exactly the problem I am having with mail and it's a big issue for me coming over from Outlook. I'm really trying hard to embrace all things Mac and I don't want to buy Office so I can use Entourage. This is a pretty basic function and it would make the mail program that much better.