Mail.app Change sending account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sotied, Nov 19, 2004.

1. sotied macrumors regular

I'm using Mail in Panther and want to know how to get my mail to come from my domain no matter what server or service I'm using.

1 - is this possible? I think I was able to do something like this a hundred years ago in Eudora and/or Entourage. I just can't remember.
    2 - I have a verizon account that I use from home
    3 - I have my own domain name jeffcutlerdotcom. I send my mail from this address for my business and professional emails.
    4 - I hate sending prof. emails via Yahoo and Hotmail

Thanks,

Jeff

2. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If you have multiple accounts configured with mail.app you can choose which account you send from. When you're composing a new message mail.app shows which account you're using (under 'Account' below 'Subject'! ;) :)) You're default account is the first account listed under Accounts in preferences, if you haven't got a specific mailbox selected.

3. sotied thread starter macrumors regular

Can I make it more robust?

Right now, my default is the verizon account. What I'd like to do is set up another account that I can use anywhere.

1-do I have to know the server address for the server I'm currently on?
    2-what other things do I need to do?

Thanks,

Jeff

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

If I understand your set up and wants right, I would recommend the following:

1) For 'work' set up your own domain e-mail address (your jeffcutler.com address) with a hosting company that will allow webmail access. Check out A Small Orange for cheap deals. You now have access to your business e-mails via mail.app (through POP) and via the web during the times you haven't got your computer with you.

2) If you want 'play' addresses just set up any webmail account like Hotmail/Yahoo/Gmail etc, which will allow POP access as well (normally for a small fee). I'd go for GMail for the free POP access. Forward all e-mails from other accounts, like your Verizon account, to this account.

Now it's pretty easy to send mail from either account through mail.app or by accessing the different accounts through the web. Either way you'll always have access to your e-mail.

Edit: Reading through the post again makes me realise how horribly written it was :eek: Hope you can make sense of it! If not, just post q's and I'll try to make more sense next time! :)

5. sotied thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect - but one more quickie

That was all ideal. I'm set up with Mail grabbing all mail from anywhere I want AND sending via any network I'm on ANYWHERE. That's great.

One last question is: How do I get my outgoing messages NOT to have the gmail return address? I tried configuring it a few different ways and all my outgoing still comes from xxxx@gmail.com. I have the gmail account set up to have the correct return address, I can't find a place in Mail to adjust that.

Thanks!!

Jeff

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle