Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
hi, anyone having a problem with this? mail app all of a sudden started to crash on me tonight. i installed 10.3.1 and it still crashes. any ideas?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
i did a clean install originally and installed 10.3.1 and it still crashes. Are you using the httpmail plugin at all? I;m thinking that might be my problem but i don't really have much of a choice

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
what's the plist file? i really don't know why this is happening. it just happened today out of no where. the mail app will synchronize with my imap and then just die.

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2003
here's a quick fix. this works if you have more than one e-mail account fetching mail on the mail app. if you disable one of the accounts then it should stop crashing.

Constantine

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2003
same problem

same problem: suddenly mail app crashing: in particular, when trying to mark items as junk, but also on occasion when it's checking for mail in the background. Was a clean install on new G5. Today, IE crashed as well for first time...

have a number of accounts: when you say you disable an account and it works, any account, or all but one?

TiBook1ghz

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
VA
Re: same problem

Originally posted by Constantine
same problem: suddenly mail app crashing: in particular, when trying to mark items as junk, but also on occasion when it's checking for mail in the background. Was a clean install on new G5. Today, IE crashed as well for first time...

have a number of accounts: when you say you disable an account and it works, any account, or all but one?

SAME problem. My junk filter stopped working a day ago, and now it crashes when marking items as junk, receiving multiple accounts, or viewing messages with images in them (html mail).

Anyone reported this?

Constantine

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2003
solution

found the solution:

delete the following file:

~/Library/Mail/LSMMap
or
~/Library/Mail/LSMMap2

I believe this file is related to the junk filter.

I reported this using the built-in mechanism but not verbally.

willymc

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
Same thing happened to me last night. Running 10.3.1 and only my .mac account in mail. Ran the earthlink configuration disk which amongst other things adds an email account. Haven't been able to launch mail since.

willymc

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
mail crash solution

Deleting the file mentioned above did not solve my mail problem, but the following did.
As it was last working before earthlink total access added a new mail account, I used tinker tool to show my hidden files, found com.apple.mail.plist and opened it. I found records for 3 mail accounts, one of which was the earthlink account. I deleted this entry and exited the plist. My mail works again.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Make sure you submit the bug report using crashreporter when it crashes. The Mail team at Apple are extremely responsive to errors, especially if they see a string of issues coming in. They are some of the most dedicated programmers and quality assurance guys in Apple, so give them what they need and they will fix it promptly.

Also, when submitting the reports, don't say "Mail crashes, such and such". Try and give them as much information as possible, like what was open in Mail at the time, whether you were trying to open a file, whether activity window had something happening, etc.

Mat

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
My mail doesnt crash however it does keep asking me for my password at random times evn when i tell it to keep my password saved. Any idea what that's about?

willymc

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
The plist files store changes to the default configurations. They can be seen if you show hidden files. Tinkertool can enable this. If you delete a plist for a given app, it will be restored to it's default state.

If you have an imap (or .mac) account you should not lose any mail from your inbox. This is stored on the mail providers server. Once you delete the plist file maill.app will forget all your accounts(and other settings), and you will have to configure it from scratch.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you have a thorough backup of your entire system in place, and are happy to take a risk.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by markjones05
My mail doesnt crash however it does keep asking me for my password at random times evn when i tell it to keep my password saved. Any idea what that's about?

Whenever Apple does server maintenance, .Mac passwords will be rejected for that short period of time until they are up again. It only happens once every few weeks for me and only for a 10-30 minute period at most from what I seem to notice.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
I use my school account for towson through the mail app as a pop account. At least 5 times a day i will get this screen for no reason. I always check the box to remember my password and it always prompts me at this screen.

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 143

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
How reliable is the account? My school's internet can't be trusted to work continuously for 15 minutes without a connection problem with the DSL or the IP address not being issued correctly whenever you start up. I have found that I get problems with my passwords not sticking only when the network goes down.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Re: solution

Originally posted by Constantine
found the solution:

delete the following file:

~/Library/Mail/LSMMap
or
~/Library/Mail/LSMMap2

I believe this file is related to the junk filter.

I reported this using the built-in mechanism but not verbally.

My mom was having the same problem, I deleted those files on her computer and it solved all the problems also. She's definitely happy!

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
How reliable is the account? My school's internet can't be trusted to work continuously for 15 minutes without a connection problem with the DSL or the IP address not being issued correctly whenever you start up. I have found that I get problems with my passwords not sticking only when the network goes down.

I have a very reliable connection with my ISP and I get this every time I try to get my mail. In fact it hasn't let me access my mail for a while I can get with when I plug my windows machine in. Also, when I type my password in and click the keychain check mark, the field comes up empty the next time it asks me for my password. This is really frustrating.

Help Please!!!

wiredsc

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
England
I have the same problem.

I only have the one account which I set up when I first opened mail (v. 1.3.2)

Its a POP account.

It starts to retrieve mail when I ask it, but then freezes.

Also when I try to open a mailbox, it starts to spin the busy icon and thats it, it doesnt do anything.

mj_1903

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Ah, the issue you are talking about is not a Mail issue, its a Keychain issue (just talked to my mate on the Mail team about it). There is no fix for it this time but its due to Keychain being probably the worst piece of software Apple has produced (and being a programmer and working with it everyday, it does suck).

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've never had a problem with keychain and I've used it since OS 9 days. There must be an issue that is causing it to act up in this way because if it were really that bad, I'd think that many more people would have these password issues.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
BE CAREFUL DELETING ACCOUNTS!

Originally posted by ddohnggo
here's a quick fix. this works if you have more than one e-mail account fetching mail on the mail app. if you disable one of the accounts then it should stop crashing.

Be careful when you delete accounts--you will lose all mail in your inbox and in sent mail from that account. I learned that the hard way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.