Mail App - Deleted pop account, how to get back mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by littlecorgi, Mar 9, 2006.

1. littlecorgi macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I accidentally deleted one of my pop accounts in Mail App. All my emails from that account is deleted. Can I get them back :confused: :confused: Please help, many thanks!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

From your back up.

Otherwise.. you're looking at data recovery software and hoping for the best.

3. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Yep I'm afraid thats it mate. I did exactly that after have my first mac for a couple of weeks. changed ISP so deleted the pop account settings to create another it it wiped all my mail!!! Was gutted at the time, but I only lost 2 weeks so not toooooo bad.

Pretty stupid way it works actually.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm

Try taking a gander in your Users/you/library/mail/mailboxes folder.

There MIGHT be something there for ya.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When you delete from inside Mail.app, unfortunately the "POP-user@isp.com" folder is deleted from the user's Library/Mail/.

6. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Could the originals still be on a server?

Can you get in through a web interface?

7. jkballer23 macrumors member

Hmm, I have my hotmail setup in mail, and all the files are stored on the actual hotmail account. So even I were to remove my account in mail, the files will still be stored on the hotmail server. Only if I delete the emails will it delete them from my account in hotmail. So, maybe your files are still on the actual server, even though they are not in the mail app. Unless, it downloads the emails rather than copying them from the server. Not sure how you had it set up.

8. littlecorgi thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all,

The worse thing is I setup in Mail app to "Remove copy from server after retrieving messages".

I checked my account through the web interface, no mails left. Now I'm sure All My Mails Are Gone :eek: :( :( :(

9. Fuchal macrumors 68020

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is a good point to lecture you on the merrits of a BACKUP.

[Lecture]

Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass. Backing up saves your ass.

[/Lecture]