Mail.app help needed please :)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mustgroove, Oct 10, 2006.

1. mustgroove macrumors regular

I've got some confabulating issues with Mail.app... I'd like to start using this over Thunderbird because of Address Book integration among other things, but some stuff is really bugging me!!! :)

The mail account I'd like to access is an IMAP account (coz sometimes I need to access my email from a machine other than my own)... The folder structure is like this:

INBOX
    ------Inbox.Drafts
    ------Inbox.Junk
    ------Inbox.Sent
    ------Inbox.Trash

Basically, I've got 2 problems:

1) When sending mail, Mail.app doesn't copy the sent email to the Inbox.Sent folder... how can I make it do this?

2) When viewing the Inbox.Sent folder, I'd like the "From" column to be displayed... but Mail doesn't seem to want to keen your column settings on a per-folder basis like Thunderbird (or any other mail app i've ever used), so that when I go back to the Inbox, the "From" column is still showing rather that the "To" column... how can I set up columns to keep my per-folder preferences??

Any help would be very greatly appreciated :)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Select the your Sent mailbox and then from the Mailbox menu, select Use This Mailbox for Sent. Did that make sense? :)

3. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

Works like a charm :) Thanks dude...

What about the column view thingy? Please tell me you have another quick fix like that :D

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the Sent folder should now show the To column. I'm a bit confused by your post. Do you want it to show the From column too (your name)? Sorry. :eek:

5. mustgroove thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, it's fixed now... thanks :)

I'm a wee bit confused by the way Mail does a lot of things, but I think I've almost got it licked now... :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. It's different but I find it quite intuitive. As with the rest of OSX, just think to yourself how it should be done and often it's the right method. :)