Mail app - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by kaizer, Mar 11, 2003.

1. kaizer macrumors member

Guys, I'm trying to setup a pop mail account with the Mail. I can setup my default isp's pop acount as well as Hotmail (downloaded an app from versiontracker). But I couldn't make my web hosting pop mail to work! Any ideas?

I've tried turning file sharing on and off.

I'm desperate! Heelp!

2. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Heres what i had to do.

Description: Whatever you want to call it. (Has nothing to do with getting mail.)

Email: Enter full address.

Full Name: Name

Incoming Mail server: mail.address.com

Username: This should be a funky number. Something like k40213953, at least mine is. Its not your name before your address. You can find this number on your host site menu.

Password: whatever you made it.

Let me know if this works.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

if he set up his ISP pop account, i think he knows how :)

can you be more specific in what's going wrong? does it give you an error message when you try to Get Mail... if so, let us know the message...

sometimes even POP servers can be tricky... there could be a lot of reasons for this sort of problem to happen...

pnw

4. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

The error says "An error ocurred while checking for new mail for 'www.dragonn.net'
    [NSPlaceholderString initWithString:]: nil string (or other) argument"

robotrenegade,
    will try out your way.

Thanks

5. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Sad to report, still couldn't retrieve my mail.

Tried www.pop2webb.com and it can retrieve my mail alright. This means that the settings on my Mac that's screwing it up.

HELP!!!!
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

6. awulf macrumors 6502

you don't insert a www.anything.com its something like mail.address.com, like mail.mac.com for Incoming Mail Server

7. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, did that. Still couldn't retrieve :(

8. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Please Help dudes..

I'm having trouble sending my mail..I have the premium Yahoo! mail service..I can get messages but sending them is a BIATCH...I have all the setting correct (well, as far as Yahoo! instructs ...One thing and I'm not sure if its because MAIL is new (I now its not that new but...) to Yahoo! or what but they don't list troubleshooting solutions only these:

"Microsoft Outlook 98, 2000, and 2002
    Outlook Express 4 and higher
    Outlook Express: Macintosh Edition 5.03 and higher
    Entourage 2001 and higher
    Eudora 5.1 and higher
    IncrediMail build 618 and higher

If your program and version are not listed above, you may have trouble connecting to the Yahoo! Mail SMTP servers. Other programs and versions are not supported."

I'm thinking maybe a different port number. Yahoo defaults it as port 25...But where do I start with that? Just any arbitary #? I will call my ISP and see if they block any kind outgoing mail service, as told by Yahoo!;

"If you have tried the above steps and continue to have problems, your ISP may not allow its users to send messages with other companies' SMTP outgoing mail servers."

But please any ideas would greatly be appreciated..

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

All right, i'm not at a mac right now so i can't be very specific... but try this...

In your Account Settings, look around the advanced features for authentication. try playing with the settings there-- see if your username/password need to be encrypted, or whatever other settings they let you adjust.

that error message is rather cryptic. i don't really know where to start...

as for problems sending mail through yahoo... try enabling authentication for the outgoing SMTP server, it's a problem that many run into-- some servers require a username and password (to prevent unauthorized use, as mail servers are open and automatic).

i'll see what i can think of when i'm at home with Mail open in front of me...

pnw

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

the address he mentioned is for a service that lets you check your POP mail through a web portal. Please at least have some idea of what you're talking about when you post help replies...

pnw

11. awulf macrumors 6502

Sorry,
    but I do have some idea. I suppose it could be anything.anything.anything, It depends on what the server's address is for handling mail. Usually it is mail.address.[com, net, org, ...]

Kaizer: is there a page that lists your ISP's POP settings? So we can look at tem and interpret what goes where.

12. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Paul your right..

Thx for the tip..I figured it out 1/2 hour after posting...Its weird but I didn't fillout the authentication l/p in the fields but when I did it..It still didn't work..So I trashed everything and started from scratch, then finally, I can send.....For the other person that has a prob...Would this help? ( I know its Yahoo's but..It might help):

In order to use an email client to send and receive Yahoo! Mail messages, you must designate a new incoming (POP) mail server and a new outgoing (SMTP) mail server.

If you can't add new POP or SMTP servers, you'll need to change your current server settings. Before you change anything, write down your current settings -- you may need to revert to your original settings later if you decide to send and receive messages from your other email addresses.

Here are the basic server settings for Yahoo! Mail:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:
    pop.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:
    smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Account Name/Login Name:
    your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.com")

Email address:
    your Yahoo! Mail address (i.e., user@yahoo.com)

Password:
    your Yahoo! Mail password

13. kaizer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

I'm trying to setup a pop account for my website, not from my ISP. Well, the hosting company's website is www.myonehost.com

Thank you very much for all your help guys!

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Excuse my ignorance, but would chewbaccapits' idea of configuring the email client for use with Yahoo Mail work with Apple's OSX Mail.app?

Sure, Hotline emails can be read with a 3rd party application. Is there one available for Yahoo Mail users as well, if the Mail.app can't be configured?

:confused:

15. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Well, the only reason why I put those configs. there was because I paid for the PREMIUM email account...I thought it would help...