isn't removing old mail from POP server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RedTomato, Jul 20, 2006.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2005
    .. London ..
    My isn't removing old mail from my POP server.

It's happening on both my machines

G4 laptop running 10.3.9, (v1.3) set to remove mail older than 1 week from POP server.
    G3 Powermac running 10.4.7, (v2.1) set to remove mail older than 1 month from POP server.

Both options were set in Preferences / Accounts / Advanced.

When I check by logging into my server's webmail, there is mail that is several months old there. This is causing problems with clogging up the POP mailbox on the server.

Clicking on 'Remove now' works OK and removes all mail, but I do want to keep the previous week's worth of email on the server for when I am travelling and accessing it out of office.

Can anyone explain why 'remove all mail older than xx from server' isn't working?

2. skiff macrumors member

Apr 27, 2006
    Red Tomato has a hot topic here, I'm disappointed there has been no response. I too am encountering the very problem on my G3, Panther (Mail 1.3.11).

As I understand it, the "Account Info" window solves this problem in Tiger - Mail v.2, but if anyone knows how to cope with this anomaly in Panther, I'd love to hear of possible solutions.
  3. dragula53 macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    I had this very same problem.

In panther, that is.

The two solutions that I am aware of are:

Use a different mail application (entourage, thunderbird)

I used entourage.

or upgrade to tiger. (I use mail now.)

I did a pretty extensive search back then, as I would rather drop a bowling ball on my tongue than use entourage.

Good luck in your search, guys.