Mail.app Junk filtering problem!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by DanUk2003, Dec 11, 2003.

1. DanUk2003 macrumors member

Hi there,

I am using Mail.app in Panther and it work's fine, except for one problem. I have the Junk mail settings set to 'Automatic' mode, but although Mail DOES mark spam as 'Junk' - it does NOT automatically move the mail to the Junk Mail folder, rather just keeps it all in the Inbox?! I have to move spam manually - which kind of defeats the object!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Thank you :)

2. David Lundgren macrumors member

Preferences under the Mail menu, Junk Prefs tab... click to move junk mail to the Junk folder.

3. DanUk2003 thread starter macrumors member

but SURELY Mail should AUTOMATICALLY move the spam to the Junk Mail folder???? To have to manually go to the prefs and tell it to clear the spam is stupid when it's meant to do it itself?

It has done before but does not do so anymore.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

apple plans for idiots. an idiot would be far more upset that their regular email was being filtered to the trash, rather than junk not being filtered. calm down, you had to spend 4 seconds clicking a button.

pnw

5. DanUk2003 thread starter macrumors member

Point taken....

But isn't mail SUPPOST to automatically move all marked Junk Mail to the Junk Mail folder when set to automatic???

6. David Lundgren macrumors member

Most programs do keep junk in a special Junk folder, at least so you can review it every now and then to make sure that your junk filtering is working properly and "real" mail isn't going that way on you.

If the junk filter automatically sent everything to the trash, then you can't tell right off what was sent there by your own mail rule filters and what was sent by Junk filtering.

How big a deal is it to go to the Junk folder every week or so, click Select All and the Delete? Assuming that the program is in fact putting your junk in that folder, then it's doing what it's supposed to do... if not, then you do have a point.

7. DanUk2003 thread starter macrumors member

Please allow me to clarify:

The problem is that Mail is not even putting the email it thinks is spam into the Junk Mail folder.

I am more than happy to review everything in the Junk Mail folder and then delete it - the point is, Mail is not even doing this!!

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

"Automatic" should be sending Junk to the Junk folder.
    Are you sure the automatic button is selected?
    I assume you are running a fully updated install of Panther.

BTW, You can right-click the Junk folder and choose "Erase Junk Mail", as opposed to opening the junk folder, selecting all, then deleting the files.

9. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

From what you described I believe your Mail is still in Junk Training mode. This is to train Mail what it thinks or you think Junk mail is. Usually after about 3 months Mail will prompt you and say you've been in Junk Mail training for so long would you like to change to Automatically remove junk mail from the inbox?

To do this now just goto pref.-->Junk Mail--> and click Move it to Junk Mail Folder (Automatic)

It's as easy as PI.

10. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Or ctrl-click if you have single button mouse.

Make sure it is set to Automatic because I've never seen a problem with this before.