Mail.app keeps deleting messages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by matiasvb, Oct 5, 2004.

1. matiasvb macrumors newbie

Something weird happened to me...
    I had just launched the Mail program in Mac version 1.3.9 (v619) and when I switched to the mailbox where I have stored all my messages I realized that it was empty. No mails in there. I can't possibly figure out what could had happened. It's not the first time that this occurs, in fact, I have lost all my messages in three oprtunities under the same circunstances. It's strange because none of the other mailboxes deleted their messages (having the same mail acount POP). The configuration for the server is right, I have checked it ever since then. It's just like that, suddenly all the messages are gone.

Please, any information on behalf of this would be really apreciatte. I'm really on my nerves, losing my e-mails all the time!!!! :(

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Are you off line when this happens?

I am guessing your preferences for that particular account are wrong. go to preferences-->Account-->(select your account that is deleting them)-->click the "advanced" tab

Then look for a drop down menu that reads either:
    Keep copies of messages for offline viewing and select the one you want.

Just a hunch...if not this one, maybe another setting is wrong.

3. matiasvb thread starter macrumors newbie

:( Tried that one too. I have checked the option "deletes messages from the server once you have downloaded them". The other two options in the advance setup are checked too. I'm online constantly, that's the strangest point. The other mailboxes are still showing their content, and I check for new mails and they downloaded perfectly. Maybe it's something in the preferences but can't understand why because in the "IN" box everything is normal... i have others custom mailboxes working normal too.
    Thankxs for the help though, if you know anything of the preferences that i may be doing wrong please tell me. (sorry for any inconvenience with the language i don't speak english very very well)

4. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Not sure if this is an option

Maybe there is a pref somewhere where it says "after such a date, delete messages". I don't even know if this is an option or not, but just trying to think of ways that messages could be deleted without you doing it. I say keep checking around in the prefs for answers. Are you importing from other e-mail accounts??

5. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Just making sure that the account is not an IMAP account and you deleted the mail on the webmail page. Because then when it synchronizes again it will delete the mail in your mailbox on your mac.
    If that's not it, check all the preferences of that account and set everything to not delete. If that's not it either I'd almost call Apple if you're still covered.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Are you on a high speed always on connection?

Take a look at the preferences for the other accounts and see that your problem account matches the setting exactly of the good accounts.

Change the delete everything after downloading to a different setting and see what happens.