Mail.app Killing CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kainjow, Oct 31, 2004.

1. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I was checking to see how much CPU my computer was using when idle, and I happened to notice that Mail.app is taking 95-100% CPU usage, and it's doing absolutely nothing! (well obviously it is... but nothing apparent).

Anybody else seeing this?

2. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I WAS JUST GOING TO START A THREAD ON THIS
    ok.. that means there is a serious problem going on. I would say it is safe to presume that it is due to the new security update. Anyone else seeing this?

3. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I tried taking off all my rules (i have probably 12 or so that I had turned on) and that cut about 5% so then it was averaging around 95%. still a problem

4. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Hm well I relaunched the app, I received 2 emails, and started composing an email, and it's normal. I'll see what it's like once I send the email and relaunch the app again...

Oh btw. I noticed you're from Cincinnati - I'm in Columbus :cool:

5. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

:confused: That's bizarre . . . My Mail.app uses 0.0% when idle (as one would expect). I currently have six active mail rules, seven mailboxes, and about 3800 messages between all my mailboxes, junk pile, and buckets used in my mail rules. I have all updates installed (security, etc.) with the exception of the latest AirPort card update (don't have AirPort).

Just curious: How many messages in your mailboxes? Could it be doing some sort of background indexing operation?

6. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

My Mail.app just went nuts too. I was away from my laptop, and came back and the blower was running. Turns out that Mail was hogging all the idle cycles throwing it into high gear.

Three people's mail goes screwy all at the same time. What's going on?!?

edit: I restarted Mail, but once it loads it immediately goes back to hogging all the CPU time. This is too coincidental to be a system problem. Some sleeper Mac virus? Is it the end of the world?!? :eek:

I just watched some really scary movies for Halloween, and I'm freekin' OUT!!

7. kainjow thread starter Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yep, after sending my email, and relaunching the app, it's all good.

Maybe Mail was "phoning home" ??? :p

8. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Mail just starting going nuts for me too. What the heck!?

9. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Crap! Maybe there's a Mail.app virus being spread through this thread!!! :D

10. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

My mail.app is at a steady 0.00%. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Lee Tom

12. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Whoa, mine did the same, but a restart didn't fix it. I left it closed overnight and today it's allright again. What was this?

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've been using Quicksilver (recently updated to QuickShiver with Halloween colors. I updated to ß32 and it's back to the standard silver colors, and Mail no longer hogs CPU.

14. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Wow, this just happened to me tonight!

Anyone want to try and find the link we all have in common?

Did everyone update to the new security update or iTunes or Qucktime. I have.

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

This is very weird. Many people having the same problem with Mail on halloween... :eek:

16. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Got 2 reports of this over at MacRumors IRC tonite

Trashing prefs (mail's plist) seemed 2 work for them

Hope it's not the 1st Mac Virus. The Halloween date makes me suspicious.

17. aplasticspork macrumors regular

weeeeeeird!!! that just started for me!!! i quit mail and opened it again and 5 messages appeared from over the course of the day that hadn't showed up before :eek: and its still having problems...doesn't effect performance though :cool:
    --andrzej

Edit: Mail now has 7 threads, as opposed to the normal 4. also, there's a process that i've never seen before called "(null)" that uses 0% CPU, has 14 threads, and has 1.1 GB of virtual memory :eek: what's going on!?!?!?!

18. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

without much to support this, I would say it has something to do with the updates from a days ago. seems to be what is the same between us.

19. aplasticspork macrumors regular

problem is, i've been doing all the updates and everything, but this just started about five minutes ago, i saw this thread over an hour ago and checked the activity monitor and mail.app was using 0.00% CPU, now everything is going crazy. anyone else have the mysterious (null) process?
    --andrzej

20. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

agreed, the time delay seems odd, just wonder if it was a breakdown of the prefs. and i don't know what else could affect such a broad range of users. Since the update, I have been gone and not used my machine much at all since, came back a few hrs ago then noticed it doing that after a bit (have menumeter running always). So i don't know how it could be a 'virus' and affect so many people so quickly unless it was in some 'mac' website, but that seems hard to see, and affect mail no less. While it could be something else, that just seems to be smoking gun for me at this time. I hope someone can figure a fix without messing mail up (it sucks trying to reconfigure everything!)

21. aplasticspork macrumors regular

ok, now the (null) process is using 5-6% of the CPU, before it was using none. i'm sufficiently unnerved. anyone else see this process? :eek:
    --andrzej

Edit: heres a screenshot...

Attached Files:

22. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

OK... the eye of the storm

in equally weird fashion, i launched mail and now all is fine. I see 6 thread items. idk what i had b4. While I am glad things are fine, i still don't know what the problem is and that is a bit unsettling. I hope other ppl's mail is ok too, but I hope this is taken seriously and someone can figure this out.

23. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

sry, but where do u see these process? in activity monitor somewhere? looking and not seeing them.

24. aplasticspork macrumors regular

it's in the activity monitor, i just uploaded a screenshot in my last post :p sorry about that, i wasn't being very coherent
    --andrzej

25. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac