mail.app mailboxes go offline.

Discussion in 'OS X' started by btcomm, Nov 17, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

What would cause mailboxes to go offline? Is there some way to specify that they never go offline?

2. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

They'll go offline if you open Mail without connection to tubes.

3. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...Or if you lose connection to your tubes or if your email server goes down.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I was thinking, is there any way to tell it never to go offline even if your connection goes down?

5. macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

You mean... to still get email w/o tubes? No, that's impossible. Tubes are absolutely necessary to receive internets.

6. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Anyway, it should automatically reconnect once your tubes are cleared out so I wouldn't worry 'bout it.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I guess thats where the problem lies.

It seems once it takes the mailboxes offline even if you are connected to the internet it will not come back on until you click on mailboxes and specifically tell them to go online again.

8. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

How big is your mailbox? If your emails are greater than about 1GB in size, Mail can start behaving quirkily like this. Maybe create a new user account in System preferences, import your emails into it and set it up like the original account and see if it gets the same problems. If it doesn't then we can narrow the problem down to something in your Home folder. :)

9. thread starter macrumors regular

So you think that if it's over 1 GB but you reimport the mail it won't act like this anymore?

10. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I wasn't being very eloquent. Those two things are unrelated but both might be something you want to check out. You can check the size by slicking on one of the folders in Mail and pressing COMMAND-I, then adding the numbers. The second user account creation is to check if you have a bad network setting or a bad preference file relating to Mail. :)