Mail.app Missing Gmail Messages

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by johnnybluejeans, Jan 23, 2006.

1. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

Is anyone else using Mail to retrieve their Gmail messages via POP?

I set Gmail to allow POP for all messages. First time I checked my mail with Mail.app it completely synced up over the course of an hour, downloading some 5000+ messages from gmail.

Since that time it seems like Mail.app only gets some of my new messages, not all of them. For instance, if I check my email in the morning I'll get maybe the 2 most recent emails, but miss a slew of them from the middle of the night...

Anyone else have this problem?

2. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I had a similar problem with gmail forwarding my emails to mail.app, but if you go into gmail's pop settings (through the web mail) there are a few options for which e-mails you'd like it to forward. you might want to check it out to see if that'd help.

3. Bobarito macrumors newbie

Bobarito

johnnybluejeans, I'm having the exact same problem. I've been using Mail to DL my gmail for the past ~8months and it just started doing this recently. Maybe with the 10.4.4 update?

It's an annoying little problem though...

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm. iMac G5 2.0GHz, running 10.4.4 and no problems here. :confused:

5. ph0rce macrumors 6502

been fine since i started using Gmail and Mail

Mac Mini - Mail in Panther & Tiger

6. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

i am using 10.4.4 and it works perfectly for me.

7. johnnybluejeans thread starter macrumors 6502

If I keep mail running 24/7 it doesn't miss any messages. It is only when I don't have mail running for multiple hours that it seems to miss some of the messages when I fire it up. Again, it only misses the ones in the middle..

I wonder if it has something to do with gmails preference "POP is enabled for all mail that has arrived since xx:xx" Maybe this is getting reset somehow and then gmail doesn't send over all the messages...

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Darn. Darn this thread and jinxing me.
    Haha. Mail.app keeps on saying that something is wrong on Gmail's server:
    If I quit Mail and open it back up, it will work fine for a bit and then time out again. Oh well. Guess I'll just check my gmail on Camino till things get ironed out.

9. tivoboy macrumors 68030

a differant issue

Does anyone here have the issue where,
    imac 2.0 20" intel has mail setup to update every five minutes, but when the mac essentially sleeps, it doesn't update.

I could swear that the imac G5 I had would always be udpating mail even when the screen was dim and the device has gone to sleep.

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I believe that when Macs sleep it is as if they are off-- internet connection is cut off. But it should update when your machine wakes.