mail.app not deleting from pop server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jtgotsjets, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Hopefully this will be the last of my posts asking for help on my dad's iMac.

Alright, right now, I have him set up with a pop account on our ISP's server. Now, I was under the impression that with a pop account, it would delete mail from the server when you delete it locally. However, this is obviously not happening, as his mailbox is not accepting any more mail, despite the fact that he has deleted everything from his mail.app mailbox. (When we checked the web gui for his mailbox, it had all his messages still).

So what gives? How do I get it to delete messages from the server?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not on my mac so I can't confirm this, but I'm sure in mail account settings there is an option to "keep mail on the server" (or words to that effect). Make sure this isn't turned on.

3. Xircom macrumors newbie

Xircom

Menu Mail -> Preferences
    Accounts -> Advanced

tick "Remove Copy from server after retrieving a message" and choose "Right away" if the message must be deleted right away after download the mail from pop-server.

to remove right away, there is the button with that name there also.

Hope that is what you are looking for and if yes, hope that mail.app's commands are understood by the pop server ...

cheers, Xircom

4. jtgotsjets thread starter macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

that's exactly what we were looking for, i don't know why i didn't catch it the first time around.