or entourage 2k4?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asif786, Dec 4, 2004.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.

Before anyone says anything, yes I have searched, and no, I couldnt find any relevant info to help me make my decision, so i'm posting here :)

i've recently started using my gmail account with - it's been cool, i have my phone syncing with address book etc, so everything works well together. however, in the alst couple of days, has this really annoying issue where it keeps on asking for my gmail pass (yes, it is being saved in the keychain, sot hats not the issue). the issue is a real pain in the ass, so i started using entourage 2004 today - the issue doesn't occur any more.

did i make the right decision? i love the integration of add book/mail and isync so it annoys me to have to use something else- but at the moment, is nothing short of pathetic. mail 2.0 seems cool, but i still dont think it will be great compared to entourage..

so, what do you use and why? i really dont know how long I can put up with a bad mail client like

2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    People use entourage more for connecting to Exchange servers. I feel its too heavy with bloatware for something such as a gmail account. Suggest just deleting the keychain entry for gmail, and the next time it should ask only once for you password. Plus, now you are stuck with MS software for you mail, are you sure you want that.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    my gmail account and mail has the same issue, as far as i can tell though it is a problem with google, the first time this happened i was confused as hell, second time i was huh? and third time i tried to log into my account through and it wouldnt work, so as far as i can tell this is more of an issue on gmail's side, i could be wrong though i guess

i love the app integration between address book and mail so im sticking with it, i just hit cancel and let it stay offline for a bit and then go back online later with no issues, a pain true, but gmail is beta still so i will put up with it for now
  4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    The problem that I have had in the past is that my mailbox file would become corrupt, causing lots of annoyance. has never had such a problem.
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I have exactly the same problems but I think the problem is with GMail rather than I use four other accounts with, not including GMail, and they all work beautifully. Keep in mind that GMail is still in beta so hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.

I've tried Entourage but much prefer's singular yet integrated approach with the other iLife apps.
  6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I use Entourage X and like it. Do whatever you like most. I like Entourage because of the effortless Palm syncing. The iSync conduit takes 2x as long... major PITA when on battery power and Bluetooth.

I've found it dosn't matter a vast amount. More a personal choice than anything.
  7. asif786 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    thanks guys + gals ;),

i think i'll stick with mail for now then. hopefully 2.0 will make it into a worthy competitor to entourage.

and perhaps it might be worth us each submitting a suggestion to google, detailing the issue. if a few of us raise the issue, they may actually look into it.. :)

8. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Dec 24, 2003
    Once in a while, my will 'forget' the password for one or more of my accounts.

Quitting Mail and then restarting it seems to fix the problem.

You'd think it would be a keychain problem, but I've tried Keychain Repair when this happens and there are no errors.
  9. vgurl macrumors newbie

Mar 20, 2004
    da Bronx
    That very same thing happens to me too. If anyone knows of a fix, I'd love to hear about it. :rolleyes:
  10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If POP3 gets an error -- any error -- while logging in, there is only one error code it can return. That's just a weakness with the protocol, there's not much either Apple or Google can do about it. That means that something like a database error will look exactly the same as a bad password :(

If you press the escape key, will give up and remember the password for the next time it tries to check the mail.