Mail.app Pissing me off!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amacgenius, Oct 18, 2006.

1. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I'm having an problemo with mail right now. It's telling me that in my inbox for the selected account I have 5 unread emails, which if you look at the screenshot is NOT the case, as I've read all my mails and the newest one does not have the unread marker by it.

Any ideas, I've restarted, "synced" the account, quit/reopened mail, etc.

Attached Files:

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

What if you select all, then right click and choose "Mark As?" Does it give you option for "All Read" or "All Unread?" If you can choose "All Read," does that solve your problem?

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How many unread messages do you see if you open those disclosure triangles?

4. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I have the same problem, but with Smart Folders. I'll have a smart folder, say one for mail from Apple, and after I read the email in it's respective inbox it will NEVER update the counter on the Smart Folder.

Annoying. Mail is by far the buggiest app in Mac OS X.

5. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I too had that problem but went away after I check my account sync settings and it went away

6. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Attached is what I see when I right click on the inbox.

None, I read all my threaded messages.

Attached Files:

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Sorry, I meant select all of the message in your Inbox and then right click on any of them.

Do you get this:

Picture 1.png

or this:

Picture 2.png ?

8. btcomm macrumors regular

Instead of right clicking on your inbox, how about you single click on 1 message then select all then right click on all the highlighted messages and select mark all as read.

I got beat, just do as the post above me shows.

9. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Didn't help.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

But which one did you get?

11. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Said "Mark as Unread" instead of "Mark as Read".

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmm...so at least that portion of Mail is recognizing that your Inbox doesn't contain any unread messages. Have you tried dragging the preference to your Desktop and seeing if that helps?

13. opuslab macrumors member

opuslab

Switch to Entourage, man, Mail is not worthy of your frustration. Don't listen to anyone who hates Entourage just because it is written by Microsoft. It does its job, and it does it well. I've been using it since the day it was released back in 2002, and I used it alongside the Mail. I finally chose Entourage because it is more advanced (especially with IMAP accounts), has a better user interface, and handles HTML messages better than Mail. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Mail. It is a wonderful application, but when it comes to choosing the best one out of the two, I'd go with Entourage. And one more thing: if a problem like yours occurs in Entourage, it can be fixed with one click (either Refresh or Repair Message List from contextual menu).

Attached Files:

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Perhaps getting off topic, but if you use Entourage, be absolutely sure you don't overflow the maximum size of its mail file. I've tried to help people rebuild their Entourage mail file when it got over 2GB, and one of them lost a good deal of her mail, permanently, even after using all of Microsoft's own methods and then purchasing repair programs. Entourage works well and has many features, but beware that limit.

15. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

16. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

My main gripe about Mail is that often the application will lose the entered password. for various accounts. then i will have to put it back in there.

I have different PW's between accounts, and i change them a bit, so it is very annoying to need to have to continually re-enter passwords.

17. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I don't plan on switching to Entourage any time soon. But thanks for the head's up!

18. amacgenius thread starter macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Just an update, this problem is still not fixed :grr:.

If it persists next time I take a visit to the Apple Store (hopefully to buy my Red iPod nano) I'll have them gimme some suggestions (if any).

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not sure if you tried this, but have you rebuilt the mailbox(es) in question?

Often missing mails that don't show up in the queue (typically because there's a **** up in the header/body/separation of the email in the mailbox file) will magically appear after you do this.

Also, you may want to try and move all the mail in the inbox to another mailbox. This sometimes also makes the missing emails appear, or makes the bogus missing emails go away.