Mail.app, possible to automatically try another send server?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iJaz, Nov 3, 2006.

1. iJaz macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I use different SMTP servers at my work and home. Is it possible to for mail.app to try another outgoing mail server automatically so you don't have to chose another manually?
    Sure, you only have to do it once every session, but it's so annoying to click send, go away from the computer and come back and see that the mail hasn't been sent!
    Is there any setting I have missed, are there any sharware programs or scripts that can handle this?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Get a GMail account and use their smpt server anywhere... ;)

3. kevin.getrhythm macrumors newbie

I though it was possible to use only one SMTP for outgoing mail, no matter what the incoming mail server is?

4. iJaz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iJaz

I think I tried that but I wasn't aloud to use that server at work, I will try it though, thanks!

5. iJaz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iJaz

You can have different SMTP servers for different incoming accounts. And you can have several SMTP servers for same account, one will be default though.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's possible to use an SMTP server to which you have access to send out e-mails under any e-mail account generally, but many sites only allow SMTP ports to be accessed on an SMTP server they specify, supposedly to reduce spam. So for instance when I am at school, the only SMTP servers I can access are the .ufl.edu ones for my University and my college. When I am at home, Cox Cable only allows me to use theirs. So if I use mail.app on my laptop, it must switch back and forth.

There was a solution to this, but it did not seem very simple at all... it involved using the SMTP server built into OS X as an intermediary and then programming it to pass e-mail through to the right SMTP server. But it seemed really complicated. If I can find a link about it I will post it.

What I had been doing is using one of the Mail.app scripts in this package. It does not change the server automatically but allows you to change it for all accounts at once instead of having to do it account by account.

7. iJaz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iJaz

Thanks, I hope Leopard brings an easy solution!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's an area rifge with opportunity.... this issue of blocking SMTP ports barely existed two years ago, at least in the US.... :(