Mail.app Reply-To Header Solution?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevietheb, May 16, 2006.

1. stevietheb macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

So, I'm about to start using a forwarding address. I would like the reply-to header for email coming from that account to have that forwarding address. BUT, I ONLY want emails for that account to be affected.

Is there a solution for this? I found this hint at macosxhints, but this seems to affect ALL email accounts.

Any help?

I'd rather not switch from Mail.app as I'm so accustomed to the look and feel (other clients like MailSmith, ThunderBird, and Entrourage don't feel right to me)...plus, I'm addicted to Smart Folders and the ability to use Address Book.

Thanks

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I might not understand this, but do you need the sender and reply-to address to be different?

If not you could just put the address you want people to reply to as the actual e-mail address in your account settings. Unless your smtp server would block this.

Cheers.

3. stevietheb thread starter macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Let me be more clear...

I am about to move on from my current university. They will be terminating my university email address come August. However, they supply you with an alumni email forwarding address. So, mail sent to this university-supplied address just gets routed (in my case) to a gmail account.

I would like to be able to send an email from this address and make it look, for all intents and purposes, like it is actually coming from the university supplied forwarding address (rather than from a gmail address). This is to avoid confusion...I want a person to receive a message from me and when they "reply" for that reply to be sent to the university supplied forwarding address.

In my account settings, I have the "Email Address" field set to the university supplied forwarding address. This does not appear to affect anything. When I send myself a test mail, the header says it is coming from the gmail account, and hitting "reply" opens a new message addressed to the gmail account. The only thing that DOESN'T look like my gmail account is my signature which has the university supplied forwarding address written below my name!

The university's tech support site has an explanation for how to achieve what I want, but they do not have an explanation for Mail.app. Looking at the explanation for Outlook (or Outlook Express), Eudora, etc., it appears that all I'm supposed to do is change the email address (as I have done), and change the reply-to or return address (which I cannot seem to do).

Thanks again...

UPDATE:
    So, when I change the SMTP from Gmail to my family's homegrown server, things work fine. Any way to get this to work with Gmail SMTP?

4. patrickvanzandt macrumors member

No. GMail's SMTP server seems to *always* change the "from" field to your GMail account.

5. andrewwynn macrumors newbie

not accurate. the trick is that you have to go to settings and accounts tab in gmail. add any account you wish to use for outgoing mail and you'll get a verification email sent to that address; once you verify ownership of the other email you can choose between either email when using your online access to gmail and you can use the authenticated smtp to send via mail.app.

one minor caveat; to defeat spammers using spoofing, outgoing mail will be tagged with a header 'sender:' with your actual gmail account but very very few email clients will show that and a reply will go to the 'from' address which would be the univ. address in this case.

So you can do exactly what you want, that's the good news.

-awr