VS Spam (Whos's winning?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by srobert, Jul 26, 2005.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Hello fellas

Over the past 2 years it seemed to me that I've been getting more and more spam into my inbox and more and more legitimate messages in my junk folder. Mail could not even tag messages with the words "sexually-explicit" as the subject as SPAM. (Gotta add a new "rule" for these ones)

I've started using Aliases for my .mac mail but it looks like the damage is already irreversible. :-/

I was wondering if other users had noticed a similar decrease in performance from VS spam over the years.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm not entirely sure if it was losing it's ability, but I was getting a few too many spam messages in my inbox, so about a month ago I switched back to "training mode," or whatever it is called. I'm about ready to switch back to normal mode again, as it's been very reliable in marking spam lately. Perhaps you could try the same thing for a month or so.
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Well i just have any email to me from someone not in my address book go to the trash.
  4. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I found Mail to be unusable with my isp's email due to spam. Even the low level of spam I get is annoying with Mail.

It junked a lot of good stuff, and let a lot of spam get by.

I use gmail now, and have that sent to Mail via pop3, and now I don't have a complaint at all. Gmails spam catching is flawless.
  5. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    I have 4 email accounts running to Mail, and I get no spam at all. The tiny bits that get through Yahoo and Gmail's filters get sent to the trash or junk mail folder, and my other accounts just don't appear to get any.

I still say keeping your email address close to your chest is the best policy, only give it to friends if possible.

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    I get all this spam with my .mac address. Anybody else using .mac getting a significant amount of spam?

Also, spam or not, mail shouldn't be trashing my legitimate emails ^_^
  7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I think my ISP cuts out most of my SPAM already because I get about ten SPAM messages a week and they all go into Mail's junk folder. Also, I never get any normal messages in the Junk folder so all-in-all, I'm very happy with Mail. We're winning. :)