Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
unreads.jpg

I keep getting one message again and again ... so far over 30 000 times. Has this happened to any of you?

It can't be the screwed mail.app prefernces, this happened once a month ago, but since mail had worked normally. The last time I got 5400 times one message multiplied (from apple, but a personal message), now 30 000 ... I would leave mail.app running overnight to see how far it can go, but I'm too scared to see my hard drive blown in the morning if i try that ....

What should I do? Move the messages I want to conserve to anotehr folder and then select all and bounce? :eek:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Mail.app woes: 30 000 new messages

Originally posted by Giaguara
unreads.jpg

I keep getting one message again and again ... so far over 30 000 times. Has this happened to any of you?

It can't be the screwed mail.app prefernces, this happened once a month ago, but since mail had worked normally. The last time I got 5400 times one message multiplied (from apple, but a personal message), now 30 000 ... I would leave mail.app running overnight to see how far it can go, but I'm too scared to see my hard drive blown in the morning if i try that ....

What should I do? Move the messages I want to conserve to anotehr folder and then select all and bounce? :eek:

wow... I can't help but wonder if it's a local problem with Mail and not that you are getting all those messages.

An easier way to delete them in bulk -- and not have to move your messages out to another folder -- is simply type in a search term in the search field up top and it will filter out those messages.

So filter From: Apple Computer

then select all, and delete. Bounce might cause some major time/processor consumption.

arn

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Whoa, that's...a lot of messages!

I've seen this once before, where messages were just bouncing and sending over and over because the sender's program didn't think they were sent and just kept retrying. I think trashing some prefs cleared it up.

Since this is coming from Apple, I'd try contacting them to see what's up.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
unreads2.jpg

Gets worse and worse ... I don't want to delete mail.app plist cos I have to hack half of my passwords after that ... but this is scary. Where / how should I ask Apple about it? Basically only Apple's mails are that much corrupted... and it's not the first time ...

mike czech

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2002
619 SD CA
something similar happened to me last month, on account of installing a Digidesign Core Audio driver... it reset my Mail preferences which were set to "remove mail from server right away", and reset them to "leave on server for 1 week".

I kept getting the same emails over and over, but not 29000... the preferences are different for every email address you have in Mail, so possibly check all your accounts for this bug...

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
they have all been always "remove all mails from server now" and not "after a week" ... :rolleyes:

47092 unread now, :eek: :eek:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Check out the .mac support system.

Login and look for the green cross. Hopefully you'll get some answers or some contact info.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I'll log to all 3 .mac accounts ... and even 3 non-mac that that message is killing? Sent a feedback ... my mailboxes are over quota because apple sent me an email? yummy ... 47'100 and counting ... :rolleyes:

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
Deleting the duplicated emails thru webmail is a pain in the apple solution. 3 mac.com email accounts, and 2 other that have the same problem.

I tried to log in to webmail ... well... :rolleyes:

unreads4.jpg

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
When my PB screen turns off (after 5 minutes of inactivity), I come back and whatever mail message is last in the list - has opened itself in as many windows as minutes I've been gone. Ie. go away for 2 hours and there are 115 messages (5 minutes of screen saver.)

This sucks, help.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
deleting, deleting, deleting ...

i tried to apply a rule ... if the message title was the title that the multple thread has (the only porblematic mail) > move to trash > forward to spamcop > then cancel

the mails keep coming and to inbox - unfiltered.

feels like hotmail, i can't filter mails coming from .mac / apple? :rolleyes:

:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.