Mail app won't play sounds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlbinoPigeon, Oct 10, 2005.

1. AlbinoPigeon macrumors member

I've been haveing a problem with my Mail app as of late. It has been neglecting to play sounds in the app. (Ya know, like getting mail, sending mail, new mail notification...). Everything else works fine though.

I've repaired premissions, but that doesn't seem to work. I am running the latest version 2.0.3 (734) and Tiger 10.4.2

Any suggestions?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the mail preferences, is Play Sounds For Other Mail Actions ticked and is there a sound selected in the drop-down menu beside New Mail Sound?

If so, then try deleting the Mail preferences called com.apple.mail.plist. :)

3. AlbinoPigeon thread starter macrumors member

Will that kill all my prefs? Like my rules, signature, and mailbox settings, etc...?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nope. It shouldn't because that info is kept in specific PLIST (preference) files within your actual Mail folder (User/Library/Mail). Having said that, it may delete your Account details but I doubt it. Maybe write them down (in the Mail preferences) before deleting any files, just in case. :)

5. Rebootau macrumors newbie

Mail app won't play sound :(

I have also had this problem since I switch to a new iMac 1 week ago.
    I have searched the net and read many links etc.
    I think I may have the solution...... well it worked for me

Turn the "Check for updated" to "Manually" in RSS tab / mail preferences

Since I have done this ALL the sound functions in mail have returned to normal

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY :D:D:D:D:D