mail app. won't send mail??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forthebrave, Jul 20, 2005.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

for some reason, all of a sudden my MAIL app. won't send my mail?? I still can send through mac.com..... anyone else??

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Check your SMTP settings associated with that account (I'm guessing it should be smtp.mac.com). It is also possible your ISP is blocking SMTP calls to .Mac. If that is the case, you should be able to use your ISPs mail server to send. You can get that server information from your ISP.

3. forthebrave thread starter macrumors regular

my settings are smtp.mac.com.... i can recieve mails but just can't send~ it wokred before...

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Then read my second point.

Contact your ISP to see if they are blocking outbound SMTP calls to servers other than their own. This is becoming policy for ISPs as a measure to counter spammers...

You don't receive mail the same way that email is sent. So because you can receive mail (via POP or IMAP), doesn't necessarily mean that you will be able to send unless the SMTP server is reachable.

5. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

This suggestion is a good one. A couple of years back, my ISP switched the configuration scheme for outbound e-mail to its smtp servers -- only it saw fit to tell none of the customers.

A simple enough fix, and a phone call just might save you a lot of additional frustration.

A solution I would offer on my own, if I may. Reboot your modem. I occasionally have trouble with sending e-mail and rebooting the modem seems to do the trick.