Mail application freezing consistently --help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

On a more or less regular basis, the Mail application freezes on my computer during its first retrieval of messages after it first launches.

I haven't quite figured out if there is any pattern to the freezes (which necessitate a Force Quit command to resolve). I think (though I am not sure) it occurs when there are a number of messages to retrieve (>6 or so).

When I relaunch Mail (after the Force Quit) it seems to always be freeze-free from then. (However, on relaunch there's usually then 2 copies of each downloaded mail message).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Found solution to my Mail problem

Just to close this thread and supply some info that might be useful to others, I finally solved my Mail problem. I posted the question on the Apple.com discussion forums and found the following solution which fixed my problem:

Quit Mail first and using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail. Copy the Mail folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Preferences > com.apple.mail.plist. Move the com.apple.mail.plist file to the Desktop.

Note: Moving the com.apple.mail.plist file out of the Preferences folder will require re-entering all email account information when re-launching Mail.

Launch Mail and decline any prompt to import mailboxes.

After re-entering all email account information, the Mail.app should rediscover the existing account named folders and mailboxes at Home > Library > Mail.

After confirming all mailboxes were successfully rediscovered, you can delete the copy of the Mail folder and old com.apple.mail.plist file from the Desktop.