Mail archive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by harveypooka, Feb 14, 2006.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Whats the best way to back up my .Mac IMAP account? Mail is warning me that my inbox is 91% full....

2. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Mailbox menu --> New Mailbox --> Make sure the popup menu says "On my mac".

When the new mailbox is created (will show up as a folder beneath your inbox, trash, etc), just drag the e-mails from your IMAP box into this new folder. Once they're all transferred, you should be able to delete them.

3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm really surprised there's no Archive option like in Outlook. It's damned useful.

4. thomasp macrumors 6502a

I use the method I described above to archive mail from my university IMAP account (which, due to problems sending mail from my ISP's POP3 account while on campus, has become more or less my primary account...).

I find it really quick and easy to drag & drop the mail - no real hassle. Plus, it's still easily accessible within mail, and Spotlight within Mail will still search your "archived" e-mails.

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

I archive like this ... (and back up once a week to a local external disk using backup.app).

Attached Files:

6. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, that'll work a treat. I might also check out your mates band since I live in Leeds. And I'm back on the radio this year! Woo hoo!