Mail attachement: pdf turned in to jpg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redeye be, Jun 17, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

WTF!

Yesterday i sent out some job applications. With my CV and cover letter as a pdf in attachement.
    I checked the 'send windows friendly' checkbox (whatever that does). And Bcc'd my gmail address.
    I went to take a look at these mails today and the attachements were sent as very small jpg images.

Now that's a good way to make a first impression, i'm pissed at mail right now and will have to send any attachement to myself before i send it out.

Does anybody know what could've happened.
    I'm so pissed. Imagine getting this mail as a recruiter for IT jobs.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

What mail server did you use? Somehow, I think the 'send Windows friendly' checkbox has something to do with it. It probably took your texts and put them in the body of the email as pictures...e.g. jpegs. Gee, thanks Windows.

3. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

The blame is entirely on Mail (and a tiny bit on myself).

I just tested this and sending pdfs works fine. Unless you touch the drop down menu on the bottom right of you mail message. The one where you can set 'image size'. Now i never liked the way mail puts your attachements in the body of the message, so trying to make this less intrusive i tried to downsize the image to 'smallest size'. This is where the conversion from pdf -> jpg took place.

Idiot Mail app!

Still pissed at the damn thing!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

4. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

No offense, but it doesn't sound like it's mail's fault. Did Mail change the size setting, or did YOU change the size setting? :)

We live a learn.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This appears to be a feature of Mail. It reduces image file size by converting to JPEG.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm sure you don't need to be told but for future reference, ctrl-click the image and select 'view as icon' or if it's a real bugbear plump for this useful bit of shareware.

7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

While there is no separate window or well for the attachments, they do not have to get in the way of your message body. You can always control click and select "view as icon." I wish it could default this way, because having the images take up so much space sometimes just isn't cool. Anyways, in this view, they can sit down at the bottom of your message body and not take up a ton of room, and not interfere with text (too much). That is the way I always send my attachments.

EDIT: a munkle beat me to it! unbelievable! (;

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Us munkles are swift like that! I like your username... ;) :p

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

thanks! it's been "a part" of me for 8+ years now...

10. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

I do take some credit for messing it up, but still. Most pdfs I send are not images, more likely they are texts, what good does a tiny, blurred and unreadable jpeg text offer?
    It should have warned me.
    'this will convert your nice pdf into an unreadably tiny jpg, continue?'
    A little less pissed, i just hope this didn't ruin my chances for those jobs. If it did i'll switch to Outlook on my PC again (not serious there, but it won't be cool at all).

edit:
    And i agree with tobefirst
    "You can always control click and select "view as icon." I wish it could default this way"
    This default should be available in the preferences somewhere.