Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
A friend of mine is asking for my help with Mail. She says that every time she opens a new mail (one she´s going to write, not one she´s received), a message saying "Mail cannot be saved", and she has to click on "OK" before she can continue.

The actual message on her screen could be slightly different - her OS is in Norwegian, and the actual wording is "Melding kunne ikke arkiveres".

I´m going to look at her computer on Monday, but I wonder if any of you could venture a guess as to what might be causing the problem. Is there an old mail hanging around somewhere, one she closed but for some reason couldn´t save? What sort of issue would make a mail unsaveable?

She has 10.3.9, but I don´t know which version of Mail.

Thank you!

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Ok, now I've seen the computer. The problem is that she cannot archive mails she's working on, into the drafts folder - or anywhere else, for that matter. When she tries to save a mail as draft, she gets up the "can't archive" message. When she just shuts the mail she's working on, it disappears without warning (on my Mail it automatically asks me if I want to save or not).

Also - her sent mails don't copy to the "sent" folder, even though she's specified this in the preferences.

She's running 10.9.3 on a Mac Mini, Mail version 1.3.11 (v622). When I checked for updates, none for Mail came up!

I tried to repair permissions, but couldn't - she has to have the IT people where she works do it (she doesn't have administrator access).

Please, anyone - what do you suggest? Why would mail not let her archive mails-in-progress, and why don't her sent mails end up in her sent folder, despite correct preferences?

untamedhysteria

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2005
sounds like the administrator's of her work are using a program that they haven't set up correctly...

has it started doing this recently or has it done this since the admin's have had her computer?

what she will need to do is just have them look at it. i'm thinking they might have blocks on some things and accidently configured them incorrectly, leaving her not being able to save any drafts for Mail...can she save any other drafts for other programs than Mail?

also, do you mean 10.3.9....sorry, being nit-picky :p

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
untamedhysteria said:
also, do you mean 10.3.9....sorry, being nit-picky :p

Oops, yes sorry :eek:

The problem started when they got new machines recently - Mac Minis.

As for being able to save other drafts - she hasn't mentioned any problems with any other programs.

I will send her the comments from you two and have her ask her IT-people for help. There was not much I could try when she doesn't have administrator access.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I occasionally get this same error with Mail. I'm running 10.4.2. I haven't been able to figure out what causes it. Fortunately for me, it happens fairly rarely, but it can be annoying when it does happen. Is her problem intermittent, or is it consistent?

crackintosh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
I have this same problem it only started once I switched over to another mailserver using IMAP. I dont have control over the server settings so I cant change write permissions sadly. I have not found anything to remedy the problem in preferences.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The FileVault problem was 10.3 specific. It can be turned off from the System Preferences under the Security tab. However, it's off by default and most people don't turn it on because it is a bit buggy (apparently).

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.