Mail crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, May 10, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

Mail has crashed 3x this morning alone. What could be wrong. Once it just closed after writing an e-mail. I had to restart to bring the program back up. I couldn't even restart the program until I restarted the entire computer. And I had to actually shut the Titanium Powerbook down to do it. I tried to do a restart from the Blue Apple menu (I have OSX 10.4.6) and it wouldn't restart. When I did restart and brought Mail back up, nothing was showing in the Draft folder until I actually clicked on the Draft folder. There was my e-mail, but only half of it was saved.

Two other times this morning, Mail crashed, and I received a message that it had stopped and had to be closed and restarted, or something to that effect. I could just click on the icon in the Dock and it restarted. Strange. I've not added anything other than more RAM a few days ago. The Mac has been fine up until this morning. The RAM was added 3 days ago. All else seems to be working fine. I did my monthly Repair Permissions on the 1st of May.

Any thoughts??

Frank

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Log into another user account set up a mail account and see if Mail works better there...

If it's the same there: Remove the RAM and see if that makes it better...

3. milkdev macrumors member

milkdev

I had the same problem about a month ago.
    There was a problem with the IMAP server of my hoster. After a few hours everything was fine again.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Your IMAP server made Mail crash...? Ich habe Angst...! :eek:

5. milkdev macrumors member

milkdev

At least the problem was gone after the hoster stated that the problem of the IMAP server was solved. Fürchte dich nicht! ;)

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it me or what??? Seems like everytime I access my iDisk, something crashes, slows, or something. I almost hate to open it up??

Frank

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Mail crashing

Hi,

Mail has crashed about 10x today. It crashes every once in a while, but not this much. I've installed another 512 of RAM this week and it all started after that, but it's the only program I'm having problems with.

Any thoughts.

I'm running OSX 10.4.6
    I ran the repair permissions, but before I installed the additional 512 RAM.

Thanks.

Frank

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Take the RAM out, does it still happen? :)

If you don't want to do that just yet, then open up a new user account to see if Mail crashes there too. :)

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

well, I may have to see about removing the RAM, although I don't understand why changing from 512 to a gig would cause a certain program to crash. I reran "repair permissions" last nite, since I hadn't run it since I added the ram. Actually, I have all new ram in there. My mac had 2, 256 mg chips and I swapped it out for 2 new 512's. Mail has crashed this morning and I had to relaunch Finder. I have to say I had to do that a lot ( usually 2x/day) even before I changed the ram. Could the ram be "bad??" It's what is recommended, and the machine is supposed to handle a gig?? And why would RAM cause the program to crash??

Frank

10. idkfa macrumors regular

Depends on what machine it is...

From my experience, if it has the capacity to handle more RAM, then there is no reason for it not to work. Depending on what brand your RAM is, there could be a problem. I am running with 512 MB of Apple (wherever it is made), and 512 MB Samsung, and I have not had a problem since adding it. I would take out both pieces of your new RAM, and put the original 2 x 256 MB in and see what happens.

11. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Depends on what machine it is...<<

Ti-Powerbook. It is a G4 and will be 3 yrs old this summer. I did a lot of research and it says it will easily hold 1 gig

>> Depending on what brand your RAM is, there could be a problem. I am running with 512 MB of Apple (wherever it is made), and 512 MB Samsung, and I have not had a problem since adding it. <<

Kingston and Samsung.

Frank

12. idkfa macrumors regular

Well... I am at a loss...

*Does rain dance to summon MacRumors super god* :p

13. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Both are considered "approved." Just brought it out of "sleep" mode and it did it again. it comes right back, but it's strange. I'll play with the RAM this weekend.

Frank

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it's not the fact that there's too much RAM that will be making your Mac behave erratically. Macs are far more picky about their RAM chips, they like them to be perfect. If a chip isn't perfect then it can make the machine behave very strangely in all sorts of ways. This makes sense since so much of what a computer does is dependent on the RAM. In short, yes, the RAM might be bad. :(

Having said that, open up System Preference, click on the Accounts pane and create a new one. Open up Mail in that account, set it up with an account and tell us if you get the same problems. :)

15. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>This makes sense since so much of what a computer does is dependent on the RAM. In short, yes, the RAM might be bad. <,

But who ONLY OSX's Mail program. I run Excel, Safari, Firefox, iPhoto, iCal, Entourage, (now not all of these at the same time<g>), iDisk, Dictionary, Sherlock (language translator), Stickies, Dashboard, QuickTime Player, you get the picture, and ONLY Mail crashes. Strange. Plus the RAM for the Mac was so darn expensive. I bumped my wife's Thinkpad to a gig and it cost
    $ 34. She had a 512 in there. I had to buy two 512's for the Mac since they had 2, 256'ers in there. It was around $ 200.

Frank

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    mac ram is slightly pricier. if ram is causing your problems im sure you can return it and try another chip.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The specifications are universal so Mac RAM is PC RAM, but a Mac likes RAM that's made to these specifications more closely, and as such is more expensive. You might be lucky and buy the cheapest RAM you can find (within the right specifications) and get it to work, but generally it's safer to go with the better and more expensive brands. In the end, the key to buying RAM for Macs is using a brand that works specifically with Macs, knows their limitations/requirements, and guaranties a replacement if necessary.

That's all a moot point though. Have you made a new user account? Have you checked for a corrupt attachment? :)

18. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>You might be lucky and buy the cheapest RAM you can find (within the right specifications) and get it to work, but generally it's safer to go with the better and more expensive brands<,

I bought the Kingston ram locally at Circuit City(CC). I had thought there was already a single 512 clip in the Mac. When I opened the unit, I found 2, 256's. So I replaced one of the 256's with the 512. CC only had one clip that would fit, so I ordered the other on line. The 512 from Kingston and the 256 ran well, without any problems. Everything started when I got the Samsung ram. I bought the Samsung brand primarily because on a few sites that I checked, there was an "Apple approved" note on this brand of ram.

Frank

19. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

you could run the apple hardware test on the ram. Or download "memtest"

20. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>you could run the apple hardware test on the ram. Or download "memtest"<<

Where is the hardware test found??

Frank

21. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

If you got a hardware test cd that came with your computer use that (restart holding the C key), otherwise insert the install disk and restart while holding the "Option" key then select "hardware test".

Unplug everything except keyboard and mouse first.