Mail: default e-mail address???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wPod, Jan 16, 2007.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

This is really starting to bug me. I have 3 e-mail address in mail. 1 for job searching (im a mechanical engineer in Denver looking for a job if anyone knows of a good place or person!) 2 personal e-mail for e-mailing to friends/family 3 junk e-mail for on-line purchases and such where they will send you a bunch of crap for no reason!

anyway, for some reason it defaults back to e-mail address #2 every time i create a new e-mail. and i often forget to change it! is there a way, so that every time i create a new e-mail, that it automatically opens with address #1 ???? i have multiple times written a professional job related e-mail and ended up sending it on my personal e-mail address!

Thanks for your help!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In the Composing pane of Mail's preferences, there's an option called "Send new mail from:". You can choose any one of your accounts to be the default, or you can set it to automatically use the account of the last mailbox you viewed.

3. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Do this:

Preferences --> "Composing" tab --> Halfway down, there's a popup menu called "Send new mail from ..." - choose the appropriate option/address.

That should be it :)

Edit:

Dang, too slow :(

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

This has also been bugging me for ages, thanks for the fix :D

5. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

cool, thanks! worked like a charm. it had been set on last open mail box. but now i set it to the one i want! i knew it was something simple!

6. encro macrumors 6502

encro

The default account can be set by actually dragging the email account you prefer to the top of the list also in Preferences>Accounts. This is consistent in quite a few applications.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That actually likely wouldn't have helped his situation, as the option in the Composing pane was set to "Account of last viewed mailbox" and dragging the order of the accounts doesn't change that. When that option is set, the default "From" address comes from the account of the last message you looked at or highlighted. It has nothing to do with the order of the accounts in the Account pane.

8. encro macrumors 6502

encro

ahh I didn't realise that as the OP message could have been interpreted either way :) Thats good to know though

9. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

ok ...

I have another relevant issue.

I also have 3 email accounts for same reasons stated above. (work/pers/junk)

Sometimes and while I am hitting the send button, the mail pop's up back saying it cant find the server suggesting me to use another SMTP server from the rest 2 accounts.

I am pretty sure I have not clicked anyone of those and i always use the send later option but somehow I have sent emails without me know about it from the other accounts and I see the responses delivered to the wrong mailbox.

You can understand my frustration that others have to see another email address for me.

Any ideas?
    Tnx

10. mmachine macrumors newbie

This is actually what I'm trying to rectify right now: I have two email accounts I get mail to in Mail, but I'd like to respond with only one of them. Is it possible to specify a reply account for all messages regardless of which account the intital email arrived to? I've seen/tried the script that can add a universal Reply-To header to all outgoing messages, but it still sends outgoing through the relative incoming account -- I only want mail to go out through one.

Any ideas?

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Set up the two accounts identically except for the Incoming Mail Server section. Use the same info in the headers and use the same outgoing server settings. A quick test on my part seems to show that it works...regardless of which account the message comes from, replies go out from the same account and appear in the same Account under the Sent items mailbox.