Mail doesn't unlock keychain?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Pax, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Pax macrumors 6502a

I have a peculiar problem with Panther Mail
    Most of the time it's fine, but once or twice a day it brings up a dialog box saying that my ISP rejected my mail password. Even though the password is stored in the keychain and most of the time it works fine. The Mail dock icon bounces like crazy until I enter my password, or just hit cancel - which works well enough.

If I change my Mail password in keychain so that it requires my keychain password, and then lock the keychain, Mail doesn't ask for the keychain password - just throws up the dialog as above. Other apps - eg Safari - behave as expected

Basically it seems like Mail sometimes doesn't read the password from Keychain

Any similar experiences or advice?

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that possibly your keychain has become corrupted? I've encountered this problem in Jaguar and eventually deleted my keychain and started anew. I know creating a new keychain can be like pulling teeth but it's the only thing I can think of. That or you can try Apple's Keychain first aid.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107234

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Many people are experiencing keychain problems in the Mail app. You can check it out on the Apple forums for Panther, and one thing to try is in your Applications/Utilities folder--Keychain Access--and under its Window menu bar area is a repair utility for the keychain. I used that and it helped in my situation.

Occasionally the password demand still pops up, but it's usually when the computer is drifting off to sleep and the mail program decides to get the mail. Good luck!