Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
My Mail app is asking for my password about 30 times a day. Is this a app or server problem? Is anyone else having this problem?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Could be a keychain issue, so you may use Keychain Access and repair your keychain.

But, it's most probably a server problem. One of the pop servers I use is down regularly, and Mail doesn't like that, funnily enough. What helps is to just say cancel when the (first) alert comes up, which should take the account off-line (or at least it stops checking), and then just manually check for mail after 30 minutes or so, which should take the account back on-line.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Could be a keychain issue, so you may use Keychain Access and repair your keychain.

But, it's most probably a server problem. One of the pop servers I use is down regularly, and Mail doesn't like that, funnily enough. What helps is to just say cancel when the (first) alert comes up, which should take the account off-line (or at least it stops checking), and then just manually check for mail after 30 minutes or so, which should take the account back on-line.

Thanks, I'll check into that. ;)

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
Mail has been pissing me off this week two it will just spin and spin and never let me get my email also it won't let me send any. I didn't buy .mac for it not to work!

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I have been having the EXACT same problem.

I deleted accounts, deleted keychains, deleted pref files. No luck.

I called Apple, and they blame my ISP, SBC/PacBell for the problem. Of course, I call SBC and they immediately blame Apple and OS X. Round and round I go. In the meantime, I enter my frakking password 100 times a day.

If you encounter a solution, please post here, others are having the same problem. Do a search on the boards here. Sadly no solutions yet.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
seamuskrat said:
I have been having the EXACT same problem.

I deleted accounts, deleted keychains, deleted pref files. No luck.

I called Apple, and they blame my ISP, SBC/PacBell for the problem. Of course, I call SBC and they immediately blame Apple and OS X. Round and round I go. In the meantime, I enter my frakking password 100 times a day.

If you encounter a solution, please post here, others are having the same problem. Do a search on the boards here. Sadly no solutions yet.

I'm on SBC DLS also. I didn't even try to contact them because I would get the same runaround. They are a pain in the ass when it comes to problems. When I first got my DSL they sent a PC guy to install it. After 4 hours of meshing with my system (I was at work) he said he couldn't install it and I needed a new OS. I got it running in 10 mins when I got home but that was just the start of 6 months/100 + phone calls of other problems. So much so I was a part of a class action lawsuit. The outcome gave me 1 month of free service, BFD.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
I had my tech guy look at it. He fooled around with the keychain settings but nothing worked. He suggested Powermail (what he uses) instead of Mail.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
Its on SBC's end. I'm having the same problem as are a number of other SBC family members on listserve I'm on. One person claimed that SBC told them they were reworking their servers which was probably the cause. Here's to hoping that once this whole ATT-SBC merger is completed that the issues will go away!

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
iBS23 said:
Its on SBC's end. I'm having the same problem as are a number of other SBC family members on listserve I'm on. One person claimed that SBC told them they were reworking their servers which was probably the cause. Here's to hoping that once this whole ATT-SBC merger is completed that the issues will go away!

SBC = Service Be Crap :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.