Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Mail keeps asking me for my "Keychain" password. It's driving me freakin' bananas!!!!

I did a search and tried some of the tips I found, but none seem to work. I even used the help feature, to no avail.

Has anyone had any luck in getting rid of this problem? Somethings wrong if the bloody thing can't even remember a password!!!

Otherwise I absolutely LOVE my iMac G5.:D

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Is it asking you for your password for your e-mail account? Even though you have saved it in you keychain? This was happening to me earlier, I had to enter it 3 times before it worked, kind of annoying.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try deleting the Key using Keychain Access (in Utilites folder). I've had the same thing happen, tho not in a while. Usually, deleting the Key and letting Mail create a new one fixes it.

Quit Mail, before you delete the Key.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Same thing keeps happening to me too. I actually quit mail the other day because it was so annoying.

Try deleting the Key using Keychain Access (in Utilites folder). I've had the same thing happen, tho not in a while. Usually, deleting the Key and letting Mail create a new one fixes it.

Quit Mail, before you delete the Key.

Thanks, I'm giving this a try :)

Another weird thing, EVERY time iTunes starts, I have to accept the terms and conditions again. Very annoying. :mad:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Another weird thing, EVERY time iTunes starts, I have to accept the terms and conditions again. Very annoying. :mad:

Try Repair Permissions (Disk Utility, in Utilities folder). Actually, it would be good to run that before deleting/creating the new Key(s).

sers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
The password is in the "login" keychain. That does particular keychain have to be locked? It is currently unlocked.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The password is in the "login" keychain. That does particular keychain have to be locked? It is currently unlocked.

No, it should be unlocked. As ero87 mentioned, I also get this when the e-mail provider is down. I have a Yahoo! Small Business e-mail account that frequently does for a few minutes at a time. Could that be the case here?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
i find this sometimes happens when the email service you're connecting to is down. not really mail's fault...

That seems to trigger the Key corruption, but once it's happened (corrupt Key), doesn't seem to matter if the server's up or down. Just my observation over time. Haven't seen this happen in quite a while, though, and as far as I can tell my server's behavior hasn't changed. (running Apple Mail Service, 10.2 Server)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.