Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Is it possible to have seperate email accounts in Mail. Right now, I could set it up for that, but the inbox contains emails from two seperate email accounts and that gets a bit confusing. I know in Outlook Express I could just change idenitities and have seperate mail boxes (inbox, outbox, sent, etc.) for different email addresses. Is that possible in Mail?

Thanks for any tips.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
The easiest way to do it in Mail (barring some pro tip I'm unaware of) is to set up a rule in Mail->Preferences to send incoming mail into two separate locations.

No, wait, I was being an idiot.

Go to Mail->View->Show Mailboxes (or click the "Mailboxes" icon in the Mail toolbar to expose them). By the "In" box, click the arrow icon to expand it. Inside, you'll see each of your accounts. They fuse generally into the main "In" box, but clicking in the little sections below it will show only the mail to those accounts.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
And, BTW, you can have as many mail accounts set up as you'd like. Currently, my "In" box houses 4 accounts.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
No problem.

You can also set up a rule (Mail->Preferences...->Rules->Add Rule) of the form:
--------------
Description: [put whatever you want here; it's the name of the rule]

If [any/all] of the following conditions are met: (doesn't matter - only 1 condition)

[Account] [each account, one at a time] (Choose 'Account' as the filter, and your accounts, one per each new rule)

Perform the following action:

[Set Color][of background][new color for each account]
--------------

Then you can see at a glance which is from where, without doing the In box trick mentioned above.

You can set the foreground text color instead or in addition, if you'd like.

Attachments

• Mail Rule Sample.jpg
    Mail Rule Sample.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.