Mail emails and account info disappeared!

Discussion in 'OS X' started by powz, Nov 18, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    When I switched on my Mail yesterday I was shocked to find that ALL my email messages and email account information had disappeared. Mail showed me the regular "start up" screen that asks you to enter a new account. It had been working fine for the last two weeks since I'd installed Leopard. When I'd first installed Leopard I had simply moved my original "Mail" folder and from Tiger over. It had been working flawlessly until now. I went into my Mail folder and all my old email accounts and messages are still there, yet I can't see them in Mail anymore! It's just bizarre. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can do to get my old messages back?

So far I've set up all my email accounts again and it's working for new emails, though I still can't access my old emails. Any thoughts/suggestions on this this would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.
  2. macrumors member

Sep 30, 2007
    Have you tried restoring mail from Timemachine?
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2007
    No, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to setup time machine yet. Even if I did, it would hardly be a solution if this turns into a regular occurrence.

Since I still have my old email messages in .emix form, does anyone know how I can at least manually put them into my inbox?

I should also add that I installed Aperture 1.5.4 and Toast 8.0 earlier in the day and I had updated Leopard to 10.5.1 a couple days ago. Those are the only changes I can think of. I've also had to do a hard-reset several times on my MBP after it failed to wake up from sleep. I'm just providing all the info so perhaps a Mac expert can tell me what happened or how to fix it!

Thanks for any help!
  4. macrumors newbie

Dec 20, 2007
    When I set up my mail program, it worked fine. Then the program closed unexpectedly and over the next hour, I noticed email disappearing from my Inbox. Rebuilding had no effect. The emails were just gone. Scary. Luckily I had them backed up on Mozy but it was a tedious process to go find the missing ones. I hope Apple fixes this bug soon. It makes me not quite trust Mail.