Mail emails and account info disappeared!

Discussion in 'OS X' started by powz, Nov 18, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

When I switched on my Mail yesterday I was shocked to find that ALL my email messages and email account information had disappeared. Mail showed me the regular "start up" screen that asks you to enter a new account. It had been working fine for the last two weeks since I'd installed Leopard. When I'd first installed Leopard I had simply moved my original "Mail" folder and com.apple.mail.plist from Tiger over. It had been working flawlessly until now. I went into my Mail folder and all my old email accounts and messages are still there, yet I can't see them in Mail anymore! It's just bizarre. Has anyone else experienced this or know what I can do to get my old messages back?

So far I've set up all my email accounts again and it's working for new emails, though I still can't access my old emails. Any thoughts/suggestions on this this would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

2. macrumors member

srichart1

Have you tried restoring mail from Timemachine?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

No, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to setup time machine yet. Even if I did, it would hardly be a solution if this turns into a regular occurrence.

Since I still have my old email messages in .emix form, does anyone know how I can at least manually put them into my inbox?

I should also add that I installed Aperture 1.5.4 and Toast 8.0 earlier in the day and I had updated Leopard to 10.5.1 a couple days ago. Those are the only changes I can think of. I've also had to do a hard-reset several times on my MBP after it failed to wake up from sleep. I'm just providing all the info so perhaps a Mac expert can tell me what happened or how to fix it!

Thanks for any help!

4. macrumors newbie

When I set up my mail program, it worked fine. Then the program closed unexpectedly and over the next hour, I noticed email disappearing from my Inbox. Rebuilding had no effect. The emails were just gone. Scary. Luckily I had them backed up on Mozy but it was a tedious process to go find the missing ones. I hope Apple fixes this bug soon. It makes me not quite trust Mail.