mail/entourage/etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blehpunk, Jun 15, 2005.

1. blehpunk macrumors regular

sorry if this is a dumb question, but im new. so i have a new iMac revb. i want to know if i can have multiple users in mail. there are 2 of us who would like to use mail from our pop accounts, but i dont want to create another user on the computer because that is all we would ever do with it. can i do this in mail or entourage. i dont have office for pc, but since we have are a nonprofit i will order it soon so i can use all my old files (altho iwork is amazing so far, i love the powerpoint-like app, forget the name).

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you can have more than one account in mail, but im not sure that is what you are looking to do. the mail will be able to be read by either party, and will have to share a trash and junk folder

3. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You might want to check out Mail Switch. I haven't used it but it looks like allows you to set up more than one user in your mail account and switch between them. It costs $10.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacOS X allows--nay, encourages--multiple users. Far and away it is better for each user to have his/her own account rather that having several users share the same account.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

You can easily do it in Entourage. It's called an identity.

In hte entourage menu, choose "switch identity". Then you can create a new one, with new account information for the second user.

Once you've done that, you can set it so that whenever you start up, you have to choose. Or you can default to one identity. I believe there's a setting to ask for a password, but really if you're sharing the same computer, you don't have a whole lot of security. And, you don't have to quit, just choose 'switch identity" with teh program open and it brings up the menu of choices. You can have more than two identities, also.

6. blehpunk thread starter macrumors regular

yah i dont care about security so much, we know each others passwords and check each others email. basically i just want to be able to have my emails in one folder and his in the other and if im replying to my email it has my addresses and vice versa. im assuming that entourage is like outlook which i have to use at work all day anyway so if i can copy my contacts and calendar as well i'll be happy

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I'd go with separate identities, but if you don't want to go even to that trouble, you can still have multiple email accounts in a single identity. For example, I have a personal pop account, a hotmail account, and a work exchange account all coming into my inbox (they're separate). If you have multiple pop accounts, you can still sort the emails based on to whom they're sent, using rules, so that they show up in different folders.