Mail erased ALL my messages!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Belly-laughs, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

The other day I was going to tidy up my inbox when something disastreous happened; after selecting approx 40% of the messages I control clicked and selected delete… Et voílà, my entire inbox was empty!

I figured all the messages were in the trash, but they were not. What just happened? There´s no way they´re all gone, is it?

I´ve spent the last days trying to figure this one out, but I´m now throwing in the towel! I´m now relying on you clever people to help me out!

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

they *could* still be in the mail folder in your library just not showing up in mail. Thou i do not know how to restore them

Goes to show you that backing up your files every now and again really helps

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I think emails, from Mail at least, are stored in USER/Library/Mail on you HD. Is there anything in there?

4. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Thanks for VERY swift replies! I´ve duplicated the mailboxes in user/library/mail and imported them, but they contain the same messages as displayed in my inbox, meaning only emails from the last days.

I think I´ll just have to face it – my mail´s gone. I´ll now start backing up on a weekly basis.

Thanks for your efforts!