Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
This is probably a very simple problem that I'm over complicating.

I have a personal e-mail address (a .Mac address) and a work e-mail address.

The work address is a forwarding address. It came as part of this package
I've forwarded any mail from this work address to my personal address (the .Mac address).

As Mail is so simple to use and cuts out the need to constantly type in my .Mac password, I've forwarded all of my mail from my .Mac (personal) address to the program Mail.
Therefore, both personal and work e-mails are now forwarded to Mail.

I'm wanting to know of a way of replying to work addresses without my personal e-mail address showing in the "From:" section of the e-mail.

Is this possible, and if so, how can I go about it? :)

Thanks!

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Would using the ReplyTo header work for you? It's under the View menubar selections. The recipient will see the reply to header you specify but has to look further into full headers to determine where the message originated.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
Here's what I do:

In Mail, open your Mail Preferences. Choose the 'accounts' tab. Under 'Account Information,' there is a space where you put your email address. Just add in new ones, however many you want, seperated by commas. Example:

Email Address: you@work.com, you@mac.com

From now on, when you are composing new mail messages, you can choose the address you want the mail to appear from.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by therevolution
Here's what I do:

In Mail, open your Mail Preferences. Choose the 'accounts' tab. Under 'Account Information,' there is a space where you put your email address. Just add in new ones, however many you want, seperated by commas. Example:

Email Address: you@work.com, you@mac.com

From now on, when you are composing new mail messages, you can choose the address you want the mail to appear from.

For some reason I am unable to enter anything into the E-mail Address space...

But this sounds like what I've been looking for! :)

Any ideas how I can unlock the "E-mail Address" section?

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
Originally posted by andym172
For some reason I am unable to enter anything into the E-mail Address space...

But this sounds like what I've been looking for! :)

Any ideas how I can unlock the "E-mail Address" section?

It doesn't let you change the email address if the account type is set to .Mac (presumably because it gets the address from your username or something). It can be changed for any other account type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.