Mail freezes when replying to certain messages.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vlinkz, Dec 14, 2006.

1. vlinkz macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

Probably an easy fix to this but Mail has suddenly started freezing when I click the 'reply' button on certain messages. As far as I can tell, it seems to be random messages causing the crash. At first I thought the length of the text *may* be the problem somehow, until I tried replying to a large email and it worked.

By 'freezing' I mean the spin wheel comes up and it stays spinning until I force the program to close. Mail doesn't force quit itself...yet.

This is on Mac OS X 10.4.8, iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM.

Has anyone else experienced this?

EDIT: I just noticed I was on the wrong section of the forum. Sorry...could a Mod please move it?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do the original messages all have attachments? If so, what are the attachments? :)

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed...what is in the mail(not personal stuff, just the attachments and etc)

Are you using a pop account?

Bless

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you installed any Mail plug-ins (aka bundles)?

5. vlinkz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

OK, First, I haven't installed any plug-ins into Mail. The emails have no attachments included, and ones with attachments are of problem to reply to.

One of the emails that crashes is a reply from a university, quoting previous messages in different colours, as any email client does when you reply to a message. It only seems to be happening on this iMac though because my iBook G4 has no problem replying to the very same messages when imported. Nor does it have any problems replying to messages containing hundreds of lines of text.

Likewise, my iMac G5 had no issues with Mail. It's very strange.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Bizarre. When you tested the same email on the different machines, was it re-downloaded from the server or did you literally drag the message form the Mail folder on one machine, across to another? If you create a new user account in System Preferences, does the problem carry through? :)

7. nycdeej macrumors newbie

same issue

more and more often Mail suddenly quits or I am must force quit...I have an imac g4 and until about tow months ago things were fine, so I suspect the newer versions of 10.4 are the problem. ANy suggestions?

Thanks!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

nycdeej, a good starting place for troubleshooting an app is to create a new user account, set Mail up how you like it there, and see if it still crashes. If it doesn't crash, then you can quite safely narrow the problem down to something in your original account's Home folder. :)