Mail Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by insomniac321123, Oct 12, 2006.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Today I tried to open Mail just like I always do, and it froze every time I tried. I haven't done anything to it. It just opens, and shows 0 messages and beachballs. I just have to force quit it. Has anyone had this problem before or know what to do about it?

Thanks
    insomniac

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have webmail access to your account (via a browser)? If so, try removing some of the recent attachments via webmail with Mail closed. Sometimes a corrupt attachment can wreck Mail in this way. :)

3. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't sent any attachments in the last three weeks.

4. clintob macrumors 6502

clintob

mad jew means attachments in messages you've received - not sent.

the main reason most Mail programs freeze on startup is that they're trying to load a corrupt or missing message, or one that has a corrupted file attached to it.

if you can access your Mail account via the web, you just have to start at the top, and begin deleting messages and retry your Mail app. Eventually, once you remove the funky message, it will work properly again.

this happens to all Mail programs from time to time. not a huge deal... just try the messages one at a time.

5. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I deleted all of the messages in all three of my email accounts and Mail still wont open. Any other suggestions?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, try dragging a file named com.apple.mail.plist from the Preferences folder to the Desktop. This will revert your Mail app back to its default settings, losing your customised settings. If it doesn't help, you can put the file back where you found it and retain your old settings. Only move these PLIST files when the app that is using them (Mail) is closed. :)

7. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

That got it! Thanks for all the help.

insomniac

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries mate. That's where OSX is so good. Moving PLISTs is like an easy and more efficient way of reinstalling an app, without necessarily losing any data. :cool: