Mail Freezing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MatthewConnelly, Jan 20, 2007.

1. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Whenever I open Mail it just doesn't display any messages in my inbox. The program just keeps displaying the beachball so I have to Force Quit. It's a .Mac account so i'm just wondering if the service is down or something so it can't fetch my mail. Anyone else having a problem?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It could be a corrupt attachment. Log into your Mail through the browser and try removing any recent attachments you may have received. In particular, look at the WMV files as they have been known to cause this behaviour. :)

3. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

I haven't received any attachments recently. It was working fine yesterday and the only thing that has changed since then is that I have installed Parallels. I don't know why that would break it though.

Is there any way to re-install Mail.app without losing any of my data? It's a .Mac account so surely if there's a fresh install, it would just download all the mail from the Apple servers, right?

4. MatthewConnelly thread starter macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

Just for anyone who gets this problem in the future, here's how I fixed it.

I went into ~/Library/Mail/ and deleted the folder that contained all my mail for my .Mac account. I then loaded up Mail and it re-downloaded all my mail and created a new folder automatically.