Mail frustrations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Kat~, Sep 25, 2006.

1. ~Kat~ macrumors member

~Kat~

An exaggeration. I have gotten some but a fraction. In my Mail inbox, the last e-mail I received was September 13th but when I logged into my sympatico e-mail account, I had received many more since then.

I went to preferences and settings in both but I had no clue what to do. Then, suddenly my Mac Mail was updated with all those missing e-mails.

So, it appears to be working now but I don't know why. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Why the heck is it working now?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get this problem almost every day but quitting and reopening Mail always works for me. Its frustrating and interestingly it doesn't show up in Activity Viewer with a stuck cache index or anything. Craziness.

3. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Quitting and reopening is what I do first but it has never worked unless this time it did, I'll never know lol.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well if it happens again then open Activity Viewer (COMMAND-ZERO) and see if there's a stuck cache index or something. Cancelling this via the big red button on the right of Activity Viewer might help. :)

5. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

When it happens [because it will most DEFINITELY will], I'll try it. Thanks.:eek:

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Awesome. Just out of interest, how big is your account? Mine just went over 1GB and has been misbehaving quite a bit since. I'm wondering if it's related. :eek:

7. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

It's not my primary account so I doubt it's anywhere close to 1 GB. How would I find out the size?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, if you press COMMAND-I whilst the account is selected in the Mail window, it should show you the size of each of its folders and sub-folders. Having said that, the size given in Mail is far less than that given by Finder when I press COMMAND-I on the Mail folder in my Home folder's Library.

9. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Forgive me but what do you mean my mail window? I typed in Mail in the Finder. :confused:

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

? Typed Mail in the Finder? In Spotlight? Why not add it to your Dock?

MJ means in Mail.app, on the left, there is a list of your accounts/mailboxes. Selecting your account from the Inbox listing and doing Commnd-I will bring up what he was talking about?

11. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

I do have Mail in the dock but I still don't know how to get to mail.app

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm confused...

Click on the Mail icon in the Dock.. it opens Mail.app. All applications on OS X have a .app suffix.

13. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~

Thanks. It's not the size because it's only a few MB.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, sorry. I should have been more specific. In Mail, you just have to hold COMMAND-I when any of your folders are selected to find a list of the account's folders and their sizes.

Anyway, it looks like my little theory's out the window. I'll keep working on it (because it's frustrating as hell) and definitely post back if I get anywhere. :)

15. ~Kat~ thread starter macrumors member

~Kat~