Mail + gMail = high CPU usage?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Josh, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    I woke up this morning to find my iMac whirring away like a 747 trying to take of on a mollasses runway.

I opened activity monitor to see what was causing all the cpu usage, and find out that mail was at 80%!

When I opened mail, I noticed it was in the midst of trying to connect to gmail's pop server. I closed mail, and the mac calmed down. Opened mail again...everything was calm. Everytime I tried to check mail on the gmail account, the cpu went WAY up, and it never goes through with the connection.

I have it set up properly and it was working fine yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas whats up?

p.s. what's kernal task? That was at a very high cpu and memory usage as well.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    kernel_task (not kernal task) is the internal name for the Mach kernel of Mac OS X - its core component. Everything hardware-related must go through the kernel, and it plays a crucial role in maintaining system stability. If it dies, freezes, or otherwise stops running, the rest of Mac OS X also comes to a halt. I have a GMail account, but have never tried the POP service.
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I use GMail with and have never experienced a problem - apart from the occasional pop up message asking me to re-enter my password.

I would run the maintenance scripts, repair permissions and hope that the problem doesn't come back. Download Onyx to save you going through the terminal.
  4. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    how do you check your gmail in
  5. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Via POP access - it's just been recently introduced into Gmail. Click on 'settings' in Gmail, then 'Forwarding and POP' and follow the instructions from there. :)
  6. kylector macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    I have this exact problem as well. I will try repairing permissions and such. This is with 10.3.7, latest and greatest. I don't have another POP account to compare to though, and it doesn't do it everytime with gmail. It seems as though if gmail doesn't respond it keeps trying and trying and peaks the procs while it does it. Very weird.

This is dual 2.5 G5.
  7. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Yes, I have also seen it a lot. I guess the problem is with the gmail server.
  8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    yea, gmail's server has been spotty the last few days but i've noticed its worked itself out after a few hours each time....
    i had some funny mail problems but it timed out before my computer got really pissy.
  9. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    I've had some problems with mail and gmail.

Maily, the gmail server rejects my password, no matter how many times I try to put it in. In a few hours, the problem usually sorts itself out, though I have had it go as long as 24 hours without working properly.

Never had it wind my system up though.....
  10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...I see this happen too sometimes...hopefully when Gmail finishes the "beta testing" of the POP service it will get better.....oh yeah!
  11. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I just noticed it happen. I was wondering what was causing the sudden bursts of CPU usage. I open up Activity Monitor and notice Mail is using 96%. So I close mail and everything's fine. It only happens sparingly