Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cranwinks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
I'm running OSX.3.9 on an emac.

First, if my Mail program is running while I create a new attachment to accompany an e-mail, my Mail program doesn't "see" the new attachment. I have to restart Mail, then I can select the new attachment to accompany my e-mail.

Now, in addition to that, when I open Mail for the first time, incoming messages look fine. But if I go off and do other things while the mail program is still running, and then come back to check out my inbox, I get the following message: "The message from <emailperson> concerning “subject” has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it." The actual message is no longer there. I have to quit Mail, restart it, and then everything is fine again.

I don't want to reinstall my original software in order to fix these problems. Does anyone know how to fix them? Or how to reinstall just the mail program?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
If the size of the mailbox you are having problems with is approaching or over 1 Gb in size, these problems can occcur. Go into your user > Library > mail folder and check the size of the problem .mbox.

TO fix it, try choosing 'rebuild' in Mail. This should TEMPORARILY fix your mail. But now you've got to either delete a bunch of stuff, or break up this mailbox in some way, by how old they are, topic, etc, by making new folders and moving emails out of your overstuffed box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.