Mail has been freezing when opened.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laughingbabe16, Dec 2, 2006.

1. laughingbabe16 macrumors member

It was working nicely a couple of weeks ago but now when I open Mail, it just freezes. I can't open up my mail. It doesn't even get to loading new mails, etc. Help!

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I wish I could help, but I actually need to add my problem to this thread; I hope you don't mind as it is of a similar nature. When I have a message open and hit delete the message open will not go away or freezes for a long time (deep chill, maybe not freeze;)) and the only way I can get it to close is by clicking the red close button, which is not how it used to be.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Both of these problems may be caused by a corrupt attachment. If you have IMAP and webmail access, then go through the emails you received at about the same time the problems started occurring, and remove attachments. If you have POP3 access, then manually go through your Mail folder in your Home's Library to remove attachments (or emails with attachments). Unfoirtunately, this is a case of trial-and-error. :eek:

4. laughingbabe16 thread starter macrumors member

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Before anything else, make a backup of the (user):Library: Mail folder by duplicating it.

You may want to also move out the original Mail folder and replace it in your Library with a duplicated copy (suitably renamed of course).

Repair Permissions while you are at it.

If it still gives you problems, do as MadJew says, look for the corrupted mail file.

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

OK I am going to give this a shot tomorrow. sounds like it will take a long time, especially since I have both POP3 and IMAP. Not to mention tons of attachments.:eek:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Aniej, if you get a chance then hit COMMAND-ZERO as soon as you open Mail. This will invoke the Activity Viewer which may give you a hint as to where the problem is coming from, if only the account it is in.