Mail Help Needed for Setup

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by wdlove, Jan 30, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm in the "Welcome To Mail" window. Where can I find the "Incoming Mail Server" used to operate Entourage?

"Account Type?"

"Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)?"

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Incoming mail server is usually the name of the server your email comes from (e.g. mail.yourserver.com or just yourserver.com).

Account type refers to whether your email is POP, IMAP or something like .Mac. You can get this info from your email provider (most are POP).

The outgoing mail server is almost always the same as the incoming mail server. Again, your email provider can give you this info.

3. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

For some reason the icon in the Dock doesn't open up a new window. Use File, New user window. The Beach Ball just keeps spinning. The only way to stop the process is to do a force quit.

Also get this message:

The mailbox “~/Library/Mail/Mailboxes/Import/Inbox.mbox” is currently locked by “Winston G. Love” on host “localhost”. If you open a mailbox that already is in use, you may damage its contents.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Sounds like you need to do a permissions repair. Give that a shot and see what happens.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you for your response Rower. How do I accomplish the Permissions Repair?

I will admit that I am getting quite frustrated with Panther. To the point of going back to 9. What I need is somehow to get some one on one help.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

You can repair permissions with Disk Utility (inside Applications/Utilities). It is mentioned quite often throughout the forums whenever people have had issues with OS X, starting with 10.2