Mail / iCal -vs- Entourage X?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by blackpeter, Sep 26, 2002.

Which app(s) do you use for your email and calendar?

1. Entourage X

5 vote(s)
  2. Mail & iCal

18 vote(s)
  1. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    I just received and installed Jaguar. I'm having fun playing with iCal and the new They could possibly replace Entourage X, but we'll see how I like them in the comming months.

So I ask you current and former Entourage X and 10.2 users this: Have these two new apps taken the place of the MS version, or is Entourage just too goo to beat?
  2. peterjhill macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Entourage does not support kerberos, therefore I will not use it. I like the separate address book,, and ical combination. I also like that if I use Word, and go File -> Send -> mail attachment, that it opens up a new message in and not entourage.

I would rather have the separate programs that work together, but have independant developers (maybe) who are focused on their product.
  3. DrGrip84 macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2002
    east lansing, MI
    I Hate Entourage

Mail is a much simpler interface, and I feel, just works better. I love iCal's features and simple interface, but I have noticed that it is a bit slow (i am running a g4 800 17" iMac), and can be frustrating to use. It's just nice that mail, ical, and address book all work so seamlessly together without the usual hassle of m$ products :mad:
  4. digitalgiant macrumors regular

May 29, 2002
    Knoxville Tenneesse
    I dont know,,, I like Entourage. I am afraid to switch to mail and iCal. Entourage just works well for me.
  5. DeKa macrumors member

Sep 13, 2002
    Sydney Australia
    I've had my 17" iMac for 2 weeks. I installed Office X when I got the Mac, and used Entourage for 1.5 weeks.

I just changed over to Mail and iCal. Much better! So much easier to use, nicer interfaces and non-MS!

Derek :D
  6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I use Entourage at work and iCal/Mail/Address Book at home. I am MUCH happier at home with independent programs. But it dpends what you do with your mail/PIM. I have to use Entourage at work because the rest of the company uses Outlook to schedule meetings. And lately when I get meeting requests, I can "Accept, Decline, Ignore", and it gets automatically put in my calendar.

Entourage is a monster of a program though - confusing settings, not intuitive - well it's an M$ product. Just as an example, to set up Entourage you have to go to several menu items: "Entourage" -> Preferences *and* Mail and News Preferences. "Tools" Accounts, Signatures, Junk Mail Filter.... The settings are spread ALL OVER the place.

I have changed machines a few times in the last months and hated it because setting up Entourage was always such a pain....

With and iCal, I back up my settings and data to the .Mac server when I need to rebuild the machine - and then voilá - everything is back to the way it was when I restore.

Plus it's cool as Sh*t when I start iCal and the dock icon changes to the current date and Mail. app shows on the dock icon the number of unread messages.

Just a few rambling thoughts...
  7. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    I used to use Entourage, but it was way too unstable for me (as are all of the MS Office apps). So now I'm using the iApps. I'm about 80% happy. My issues:

- I *love* the categories feature of Entourage. Just being able to set colors manually in would be so super-excellent. Even more... It would be soooooo cool if we could program rules to set colors using the same technology as the Junk Mail feature.

- Am I the only one who is annoyed by iCal and Address Book (and iPhoto, for that matter) closing when you close the individual window? It's so anti-Mac. I don't need or want iCal to be visible 24-7, but it's so annoying to wait for it to bounce when I do want to look at it that I find myself not really using it that much. I shouldn't have to minimize or hide an app for it to be useful and handy.
  8. dricci macrumors 6502a

Dec 15, 2001
    Yep, very annoying... Never really put too much thought into sending feedback to Apple about it, but it's hard to explain to a new mac user that closing Windows don't close apps, then they go and try it on their iCal and iPhoto and the app is gone. Apple pushes their interface guidlines on developers like crazy, yet they don't follow them theirselves on a lot of things... really not fair to customers and developers IMO.
  9. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    FYI | You can set a rule to color your mesages in see attached image.

Also to color individual messages, highlight messages, go to: Format>Font>Show colors. Here you can save swatches of colors and apply them, or just randomly color off the color wheel.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

• rule.gif
      File size:
      14.6 KB
  10. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    i use Entourage

I have used Entourage from Office 2001 and I still use it. I have not had any problems with Entourage x. mail is a pretty good app but it didnt have a calender.. so I didnt use it... now with iCal... I was thinking of making the switch. But ... one thing that bothered me was that I couldnt figure out how to import Hollidays. Its simple in Entourage X. I tried to emport all my Entourage stuff to iCal but... it didnt work. I did a search on help with no luck.

for now its Entourage X for me
  11. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: i use Entourage

You can download calendar libraries from apple.

iCal Calendars
  12. evildead macrumors 65816

Jun 18, 2001
    WestCost, USA
    re: zarathustra

thanks.. I didnt know that... I will have to check that out when I get home... looks like you can get all kinds of calenders to import. I may make that switch afterall... :)

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    some of those calendars are quite cool

though they don't have the sixers in the nba teams one.... ahh well
  14. mmcneil macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Mail, iCal, & iSync

I moved to Mail & iCal primarily getting ready for iSync so I can do it all with my laptop & Palm Phone. Mail has some problems, but it does a great job of filtering spam - iSync is clearly a beta - I'm having some problems moving everything over, but it will improve with time.:D
  15. bidge macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hey if you paid for Entourage why not use it!!!

I use Address Book, Mail, iCal and now iSync. Perfect combo, yes they are not fantastically fast, but they will be eventually.